|This article does not cite any sources. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Most schoolie conversions to RVs involve a specific series of steps, not necessarily in this order:
- Removal of seats
- Installation of 110 VAC electrical system, generator/inverter, solar system, extra batteries, etc.
- Installation of plumbing, including:
- Insulation of the floor, walls and/or ceilings
- Installation of replacement flooring
- Installation of furniture, cabinetry and appliances
- Exterior cosmetic changes (paint, etc.)
Some schoolies also undergo some more dramatic structural changes, often to improve the sometimes limited head room, as the inside of most school buses at the middle is 6'1" (1.85 m). Raising the roof on schoolies is a relatively common modification, and some enthusiasts even go so far as to remove the entire roof and replace it with an entirely new custom roof, usually much higher (See Vista-Dome). Some buses also have had other vehicles grafted to them, had RV "slide-out" sides installed, or have included Jacuzzis.
There are varying regulations in different states in the United States that affect the conversion of a school bus into an RV. Some states require that the bus's signaling equipment (stop sign, flashing lights, etc.) be removed and the school bus yellow paint scheme be changed. Other states simply require that the "School Bus" signage at the top front and rear be removed.
- Reese's On Recess Our Life Adventure We are converting a Thomas Built Bus into a Skoolie to travel in fulltime check out our conversion videos on YouTube.
- Natural State Nomads - Exploring Life, one road at a time A Thomas School Bus Conversion / Skoolie conversion by a couple from Arkansas.
- Good News Bus - A Bus Conversion Project Documentary From Start to Finish A step by step RV to bus conversion documentary blog with Video.
- Skoolie.net a website for documenting and discussion of school bus conversions.
- Jake's School Bus Conversion Project a documented step by step conversion story.
- Bus Conversions, Personal Pages at DMOZ
- Cleveland Browns Bus Conversion Project to tailgate mobile
|This bus-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|