View of Skradin
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Skradin (Italian: Scardona) is a small town in the Šibenik-Knin County of Croatia, with a population about 3,986 (2001 census). It is located near the Krka river and at the entrance to the Krka National Park, 17 km (11 mi) from Šibenik and 100 km (62 mi) from Split. The main attraction of the park, Slapovi Krke, is a series of waterfalls, the biggest of which, Skradinski buk, was named after Skradin.
It was an Illyrian settlement (Scardona) on the boundary between the Delmati and the Liburnian tribes. It was the capital of the Liburnians. It was better known as a Roman town, as the administrative and military centre of the region. It was destroyed during the Migration Period, and had by the 9th century been settled by Slavs.
In October 1683, the population of Venetian Dalmatia, principally Uskoks of Ravni kotari, took arms and together with the rayah (lower class) of the Ottoman frontier regions rose up, taking Skradin, Karin, Vrana, Benkovac and Obrovac.
Places to visit
Skradin is a Mediterranean town with narrow paved streets, passages, valutas and stairs. The entire town core represents a protected cultural monument.
- The medieval fortress of Turina was constructed during the government of the Croatian governor Pavao Šubić (1273 – 1312) on the site of an ancient city from the Liburnian period. We can recommend you to take a walk to the hill and enjoy the view.
- Baroque Catholic Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built in the 18th century and it is resting on the base from the old cathedral, which was destroyed by the Turks. The church has a very valuable musical instrument. Pipe organ from the 18th century, which is part of the national cultural heritage.
- The most recognizable symbol of Skradin is the tower clock (campanile) from 1872. Because of its weight it was built on the nearest cliff instead of beside the church, which was the usual custom.
- Radovan Samardžić (1990). Seobe srpskog naroda od XIV do XX veka: zbornik radova posvećen tristagodišnjici velike seobe Srba. Zavod za udžbenike i nastavna sredstva.
Становништво Млетачке Далмације, на првом месту Котарски ускоци, још у октобру 1683. дигло се на оружје заједно с ра- јом у пограничним крајевима Турске. Устаници су "сами заузели Скрадин, Карин, Врану, Бенковац и Обровац
- Naklada Naprijed, The Croatian Adriatic Tourist Guide, pg. 209, Zagreb (1999), ISBN 953-178-097-8
- Bill Gates Forbes interview,https://archive.is/20130123110816/http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/01/billionaire-summer-vacations-business-billionaires-vacations.html