Skull & Bones (video game)
|Skull & Bones|
Skull & Bones is an upcoming action video game developed by Ubisoft Singapore and published by Ubisoft for release on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2019. The game revolves around piracy and naval warfare.
Skull & Bones is a tactical action game set in an open world environment and played from a third-person perspective. Players take control of a customizable pirate captain, and may choose to sail the Indian Ocean by themselves and set off on a single-player campaign, or accumulate up to five other players to ally or engage in combat with in Disputed Waters.
Wind positioning can be assessed to gain an advantage in battle. Players may collect additional ships throughout the game, such as sloops-of-war, frigates and brigantines, whose weapons include mortars, broadside cannons, and rockets. Ships can be charged into with brute force and boarded. The rate of inflicted damage is gauged by the health bar. A core component is the multiplayer mode Loot Hunt, where two groups of players are challenged in treasure hunting to further accumulate their riches. Each given ship's crow's nest is scalable for use as a lookout point, and spyglasses can be availed of as well. Microtransactions will be an added feature.
Skull & Bones is the first video game led by developer Ubisoft Singapore, which drew inspiration from the naval battles of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. Ubisoft Singapore is allowing players to aid in the fine-tuning of its live-service aspects with a community program called "Keepers of the Code".
Skull & Bones was revealed during Ubisoft's press conference at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2017. It was confirmed for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, with enhancements for PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X. Originally set to be released in Q3/Q4 2018, the game was later delayed into 2019.
- O'Connor, Alice (June 12, 2017). "Skull and Bones is Ubisoft's open-seas pirate 'em up". Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
- Hansen, Steven (June 12, 2017). "Skull and Bones is a tactical action pirate game from Ubisoft". Destructoid. ModernMethod.
- Hannley, Steve (June 12, 2017). "E3 2017: Ubisoft Announces Expansive Pirate Game 'Skull & Bones'". Hardcore Gamer.
- Whitaker, Ron (June 13, 2017). "Ubisoft Shows Off New Pirate Game Skull and Bones". The Escapist. Defy Media.
- Fenlon, Wes (June 12, 2017). "Ubisoft announces Skull and Bones, an open world multiplayer pirate game". PC Gamer. Future plc.
- Chalk, Andy (June 21, 2017). "Ubisoft confirms that Skull and Bones will have a single-player 'narrative campaign'". PC Gamer.
- Sanchez, Miranda (June 12, 2017). "E3 2017: Ubisoft Singapore Reveals Pirate Game Skull and Bones". IGN. Ziff Davis.
- Purchese, Robert (June 12, 2017). "Ubisoft reveals new pirate game Skull & Bones". Eurogamer. Gamer Network.
- Martindale, Jon (June 14, 2017). "Here's all we know about Ubisoft's new pillaging pirate title, 'Skull and Bones'". Digital Trends.
- Van Allen, Eric (June 12, 2017). "Ubisoft Announces Skull And Bones, Pirate Game Based On Black Flag's Ship Combat". Kotaku. Univision Communications.
- Makuch, Eddie (August 13, 2017). "Skull And Bones Dev Talks Single-Player, Loot Boxes, And Why It's Not An Assassin's Creed Game". GameSpot.
- Dring, Christopher (June 12, 2017). "How Ghost Recon Phantoms influenced Ubisoft's Skull and Bones". GamesIndustry.biz. Gamer Network.
- Good, Owen S. (May 17, 2018). "Skull & Bones, Ubisoft's pirate game, delayed into 2019-2020". Polygon.
- Keefer, John (June 26, 2017). "Ubisoft Rakes In 14 Nominations for E3 2017 Game Critics' Awards". Shacknews. Archived from the original on June 26, 2017.
- Dayus, Oscar (June 28, 2017). "Mario Dominates E3 2017 Game Critics Awards, Full List Of Winners Revealed". GameSpot.