Skyline High School (Oakland, California)
12250 Skyline Boulevard|
Oakland, California 94619
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Oakland Unified School District|
|Oversight||Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Teaching staff||96.79 FTE|
45 acres (0.18km2)
|Athletics||Oakland Athletic League|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Newspaper||The Skyline Oracle|
Administration and academics
In July 2015, it was announced that Trinh was resigning. The interim principal as of August 2015 is Claude Jenkins. For the 2015-2016 school year, the assistant principals were Vinnie Blye, Emiliano Figueroa, Gary Middleton and Nikki Seaberg. The 2017-18 school year will see Ms. Nancy Bloom as the head principal with Dr. Christina Macalino serving as the 9th Grade Atlas/Small Learning Communities principal.
Skyline High School students must choose one of four academies by their 10th grade year. Academies are "schools within a school" centered on career fields. Ninth grade students apply to the academy of their choice in the spring semester. Students study with the same team of teachers and group of students from 10th to 12th grades in their English/social studies and academy lab courses. Some courses include math and/or science, depending on the academy of choice. Students can take advantage of internships and paid summer jobs in their fields.
Skyline High School is located on a 45-acre (180,000 m2) campus at the crest of the Oakland hills. The campus is near the Redwood Regional Park and has a panoramic view of the San Francisco Bay Area. The campus is located in an affluent residential neighborhood away from commercial venues.
The Atlas Freshman House
In 2009, Skyline launched Atlas, a program for freshmen. In the Atlas system, each ninth grader is placed in a team named after a mythological figure represented by Skyline's mascot, the Titan. Atlas is the Titan who carries the heavens on his shoulders, so giving his name to the freshman house symbolizes a commitment to building a strong foundation for a new Skyline. Each ninth grader shares the same four teachers for Math, Social Studies, English, and Science. This provides teachers with a greater opportunity to intercommunicate about the students' social and academic development. Freshmen can take an "Advisory" period during which they receive lessons in academic and career planning, study skills, interpersonal development and citizenship. With each teacher serving as an advisor for 25 students, the Atlas system allows for greater connection between teachers, students, and families. As one teacher stated, "No one falls through the cracks."
Skyline High School's first graduating class was the class of 1962. At that time, the student body was predominantly White. The school's demographics have changed over the years. In 2016-2017 Skyline had over 1800 students with an approximate demographic distribution of:
- 33% African American
- 39% Hispanic American
- 16% Asian American
- 7% White
- 1% mixed race
- 1% Pacific Islanders
- 1% Filipino
- 1% Native American
This section does not cite any sources. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- C. W. Anderson – wrestler on Extreme Championship Wrestling
- Davone Bess – NFL wide receiver
- Will Blackwell – former NFL wide receiver for Pittsburgh Steelers; head coach of Skyline Football
- Theotis Brown – NFL running back for the St. Louis Cardinals, the Seattle Seahawks, and the Kansas City Chiefs
- Yonus Davis – CFL running back for the BC Lions
- Greg Foster – former NBA player
- Derrick Gardner – football player
- Marcus Jensen – former Major League Baseball catcher and gold medalist in the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney
- Brian Johnson – former Major League Baseball catcher
- Bill Lester – Class of 1979, Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series and NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series driver
- Gary Payton – former NBA point uard for Seattle SuperSonics, Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat Inducted into Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame
- Bip Roberts – former Major League Baseball All-Star second baseman
- Marvel Smith – NFL offensive linesman for the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Roy Sommer – NHL center for the Edmonton Oilers
- Deon Strother – NFL and CFL player
- Frank Summers – NFL fullback for the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Peter Thibeaux – former NBA player for the Golden State Warriors
- Gerris Wilkinson – NFL linebacker for the New York Giants
- Sunspot Jonz - Founder of Mystik Journeymen and Living Legends
- Del the Funky Homosapien – rapper of the group Hieroglyphics
- Tom Hanks – Hollywood actor and a two-time Academy Award-winner; Best Actor in Philadelphia and Forrest Gump
- William Kennedy – member of the group Yellowjackets
- Kool A.D. – rapper, artist and author
- Nnegest Likké – Hollywood writer and director of Phat Girlz starring Mo'Nique, Best Supporting Actress in Precious
- LaToya London – American Idol semifinalist, season 3
- Goapele Mohlabane – soul/R&B singer and songwriter
- E.C. Scott – electric blues singer, songwriter and record producer (formerly Ecrettia Jacobs)
- DJ Toure – member of Hieroglyphics collective, record producer, DJ and drummer
- Aaron Woolfolk – film director, screenwriter, The Harimaya Bridge
- Ledisi Anibade Young – soul/R&B and jazz singer, songwriter and actress, seven-time Grammy Award nominee
- Amazon Eve – world's tallest model; actress; Hemlock Grove as Shelley Godfrey and Family Tools as the tall customer; physical trainer
- Vester Lee Flanagan II – perpetrator of the murders of Alison Parker and Adam Ward
- Paul F. Lorence – captain, U.S. Air Force; killed in action over Gulf of Sidra, Operation Eldorado Canyon, 14–15 April 1986
- Libby Schaaf – politician and current Mayor of Oakland
- "ousd.org". Retrieved 31 August 2017.
- "Skyline High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 19, 2017.
- Skyline Selected to Share $6.2 Million in Federal Money : The Skyline Oracle Archived July 16, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Kyung Jin Lee. "Oakland's Skyline High community sings high praise for its principal". kalw.org. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- "Skyline High School's principal resigning". ContraCostaTimes.com. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- "Principals / Claude Jenkins - Interim Principal". ousd.org. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- "Community college degrees offered at Oakland's Skyline High School". mercurynews.com. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- Skyline High School
- Skyline High School
- "Skyline High School". greatschools.net. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- "Will Blackwell". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- "Derrick Gardner". justsportsstats.com. Retrieved May 15, 2015.