|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2009)|
|Industry||Sound effects, Sound editing and Remastering|
|Headquarters||Lucas Valley, near Nicasio, California.|
Josh Lowden (General Manager of Skywalker Sound)
Leslie Ann Jones
Number of employees
(The Walt Disney Company)
Skywalker Sound is the sound effects, sound editing, sound design, sound mixing and music recording division of George Lucas' Lucas Digital motion picture group. Its main facilities are located in Lucas Valley, near Nicasio, California. It began as Sprocket Systems in San Anselmo, California and its name officially changed to Skywalker Sound in 1987 after the company moved to Skywalker Ranch.
While located in San Anselmo, Sprocket Systems came into contact with the local residents from time to time. For instance, Kentfield resident Pat Welsh, "discovered" while shopping at a camera store, provided the voice for E.T.. During the sound recording of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Harrison Ford could be spied practicing his bullwhip technique in the parking lot.
Sprocket Systems moved from San Anselmo following a disastrous flood in January 1982.
Its staff of Sound Designers and Re-Recording Mixers have either won or been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Sound and Best Sound Editing every year since Star Wars in 1977 (in that year Ben Burtt was given a Special Achievement Award, since the category for Sound Editing had not yet been established).
Mixing stages, editorial services and scoring stages are all located in a central "Tech Building", with dining areas and living quarters in the vicinity but separate from the main work area.
- Richard Beggs - Galaxy Quest, Bugsy, Red Knot, Lost in Translation
- Tom Bellfort (1980's-2005) - The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Titanic, xXx: State of the Union, Frequency, Hart's War, Volcano
- Steve Boeddeker - Monkeybone, Hart's War, Hellboy, All Is Lost, Frequency
- Jeremy Bowker - Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted, Inside Out, 9, Captain America: The Winter Solider, Red Tails
- Christopher Boyes - Titanic, Pearl Harbor (supervising sound editor), King Kong, Volcano, Titan A.E., Iron Man, Jurassic Park
- Ben Burtt - Star Wars, Young Indiana Jones and the Attack of the Hawkmen, Wings (2012 re-release), The A-List, WALL-E, Indiana Jones
- Bob Edwards - The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Fruitvale Station
- Frank Eulner - Supervising Sound Editor - Bolt, XXX: State of the Union, Cowboys and Aliens, Lorelei: The Witch of the Pacific Ocean, Twisted; Sound Designer - Lions for Lambs, Sound Design and Supervising Sound Editor - Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation; Sound Effects Editor - Volcano, Mars Attacks!; Sound Effects Editor/Assistant Sound Designer - Backdraft; Supervising Sound Editor/Designer Lilo and Stitch
- Andre Fenley - Assistant Supervising Sound Editor - Bolt, Lorelei: The Witch of the Pacific Ocean, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs' (sound effects editor), Mars Attacks! (assistant sound editor), Saving Private Ryan (supervising sound assistant), Fanny, Annie and Danny (supervising sound editor)
- Ryan J. Frias - Re-Recording Mixer & Sound Editor - Star Wars: Rebels (Season 1); Digital Editorial Services
- Richard Hymns - Supervising Sound Editor - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Hulk, Mars Attacks!; Sound Effects Editor - Captain America: The Winter Solider, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Hellion, Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Leslie Ann Jones - Director of Scoring and Music Recording
- Lora Hirschberg - Re-recording mixer - Titanic, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, The Dark Knight, Inception, Monkeybone; Dialogue Freshener - Bum's Paradise; Audio Print Mastering - Sentenced Home; Sound Designer and Mixer - Blessed is the Match: The Life and Death of Hannah Senesh; Sound Designer/Supervising Sound Editor - The Dog
- Pete Horner - Jurassic World]], Hemingway and Gellhorn, Rio, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
- Ren Klyce - The Game, Se7en, Oblivion, The Boxtrolls, Inside Out
- Casey Langfelder - Hemingway and Gellhorn, Iron Man 2, Ice Age: Dawn of The Dinosaurs
- Dennis Leonard - The Iron Giant, Free Birds, Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted, What Lies Beneath, The Polar Express, 500 Nations, Despicable Me
- Michael Levine[disambiguation needed] - Digital Transfer; Restoration and Library Services - Ice Age: Dawn of The Dinosaurs
- Scott Levine - Digital Editorial Services
- Tom Myers - Quest for Camelot, Hoodwinked! The Dust Factory, Cars, Toy Story 3, The Mexican, The Sky Crawlers, Toy Story of Terror, Up
- Al Nelson - Book of Dragons, Jurassic World, Paragraph 175, ADR1FT, Lorelei: The Witch of the Pacific Ocean, Bully
- Tim Nielsen - Monkeybone, John Carter
- Steve Orlando - Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted, Jurassic World, Rio, Unearthing the Dream
- David Peifer - Digital Editorial Services
- Juan Peralta - Oblivion, Titan A.E.
- Gary A. Rizzo - Sea of Dreams, Major Damage, The Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition, Inception, Daybreak Berlin, Minions
- Gary Rydstrom - Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Titanic, Single White Female, My Family, Jurassic Park, Jurassic World, Super 8, Bully, Mrs. Doubtfire
- Chris Scarabosio - Gumby Adventures, Despicable Me, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Titan A.E., Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- Michael Semanick - Re-recording mixer - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, King Kong, Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, Toy Story 3, Cars 2, There Will Be Blood, Monkeybone
- Michael Silvers - The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Monsters Inc., Atlantis: The Lost Empire, The Incredibles
- Mac Smith - Osmosis Jones, Free Birds, Hoodwinked!, Scout's Honor: Inside A Marching Brotherhood
- Gary Summers - Raiders of the Lost Ark, Toy Story of Terror, The Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition
- Randy Thom - Forrest Gump, The Incredibles, The Polar Express, Ratatouille, Ghost in the Shell 2.0, Bolt, The Sky Crawlers, The Iron Giant, The Croods, Osmosis Jones, Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Apocalypse Now
- Ethan Van der Ryn - My Family, Saving Private Ryan, Pearl Harbor, X-Men
- Bonnie Wild - Re-Recording Mixer & Sound Editor - Star Wars: Rebels (Season 2); Assistant Re-Recording Mixer, Digital Editorial Services
- Matthew Wood - Titan A.E., Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Revenge of the Sith, The Master, Red Tails, Star Trek: Into Darkness, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Alchemy (1995), Night of the Black Widow; Assistant Sound Designer - Eraser, Armageddon, Con Air, The Rock, Volcano; Sound Designer - Adventures in Animation 3D
It's worthy to note that many of these people started working in sound at The Saul Zaentz Film Center and American Zoetrope, and have worked or still work in conjunction with Skywalker Sound.
Sprocket Systems is a sound editing, sound FX, sound design and sound mixing company that was first made by George Lucas. In 1987, the crew moved to the Skywalker Ranch, and changed the name to Skywalker Sound.
Skywalker Sound was now a true company with its division, The Walt Disney Company and Lucasfilm Ltd., and the services are now appeared with sound FX, sound design, sound editing, sound mixing, and music production.
Currently, Skywalker Sound hires anywhere from 80 to 160 employees (depending on workload), and for the first time, Skywalker Sound provides sound and music production services for movies, commercials, TV, IMAX and other large format films, theme park attractions, and videogames. Their scoring stage records and mixes music ranging from solo piano pieces to works using full 130-piece orchestras. Each year, they work on 20 to 30 different films, and have won a total of 18 Academy Awards.