Windmill and former millers house
|Mill location||Leijster Hegedijk 29, 9071 XB Stiens|
|Operator(s)||Stichting De Fryske Mole|
|Base storeys||Single-storey base|
|Smock sides||Eight sides|
|No. of sails||Four sails|
|Type of sails||Common sails|
|Winding||Tailpole and winch|
|Auxiliary power||Diesel engine|
|Type of pump||Archimedes' screw|
Slagdijkstermolen was built in 1864. It drained the Slagdijksterpolder, which was 1,350 pondemaat (500 ha; 1,230 acres) in extent. In 1931, a diesel engine was placed in the mill and a new Archimedes' screw fitted. The sails were removed in 1938, and the cap was removed in 1952.
In the 1980s, plans were made to restore the mill. The Slagdijkstermolen was sold to Stichting De Fryske Mole (English: Frisian Mills Foundation) on 17 December 1985. In 2006-07, the mill was restored with €60,000 being granted by the province of Friesland towards the costs. The new cap was fitted on the mill on 20 September 2007. The restoration incorporated parts from the Cammingha-Buurstermolen, Leeuwarden which had burnt down. The mill was officially opened in May 2009. The mill forms a pair with the nearby Balkendsterpoldermolen, Oude Leije.
Slagdijkstermolen is what the Dutch describe as an achtkante grondzeiler - a smock mill whose sails reach almost to the ground. It is a two-storey smock mill on a single-storey base. The mill is winded by tailpole and winch. The smock and cap are thatched. The sails are Common sails. They have a span of 18.00 metres (59 ft 1 in). The sails are carried on a cast-iron windshaft. The axle of the Archimedes' screw is 525 millimetres (20¾ inches) diameter and the screw is 1.49 metres (4 ft 11 in) diameter. The screw is inclined at 26½°. Each revolution of the screw lifts 722 litres (159 imp gal) of water.
Slagdijkstermolen is open to the public by appointment.
- "Technische gegevens" (in Dutch). De Hollandsche Molen. Archived from the original on 31 May 2012. Retrieved 12 February 2010. (Click on "Technische gegevens" to view.)
- Stichting De Fryske Mole (1995). Friese Molens (in Dutch). Leeuwarden: Friese Pers Boekerij bv. pp. 109, 259. ISBN 90-330-1522-6.
- "Geschiedenis" (in Dutch). De Hollandsche Molen. Archived from the original on 31 May 2012. Retrieved 12 February 2010. (Click on "Geschiedenis" to view.)
- "Finkum, Friesland" (in Dutch). Molendatabase. Retrieved 12 February 2010.
- "Informatie" (in Dutch). De Hollandsche Molen. Retrieved 12 February 2010. (Click on "Informatie" to view.)