|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
clockwise below left: Ridho, Bimbim, Kaka, Abdee, Ivanka
|Genres||Hard Rock, Blues|
|Labels||Slank, Virgo Ramayana, Megaforce, MRI Associated Labels|
|Associated acts||BIP, Ahmad Band, Kidnap Katrina|
|Members||Bimo Setiawan Almachzumi (Bimbim)
Akhadi Wira Satriaji (Kaka)
Ivan Kurniawan Arifin (Ivanka)
Abdee Negara (Abdee)
Mohammad Ridwan Hafiedz (Ridho)
|Past members||Bongky Marcel (Bongky)
Indra Chandra Setiadi (Indra)
Parlin Burman (Pay)
Accompanied by his colleagues Denny and Erwan, Bimbim created the band Red Devil. For the guitarist Bimbim brought in Bongky. In December 1983 they changed their band name to Slank because they looked selengean (rebellious or unruly).
The group's initial lineup consisted of Kaka (vocals), Pay (guitars), Bongky (bass), Indra Qadarsih (keyboards), and Bimbim (drums). Their first album, Suit suit...hehehe, was not released till 1990. From there, more albums, most of them commercially successful, followed, but Slank was plagued by a number of defections, some involving personal issues, others having to do with internal tensions based around creative decisions. The negativity was overcome, and over the next 20 years, Slank was able to increase their profile, tour the world and maintain commercial success. In 2007, Slank released their 20th album, Slow But Sure.
Their first three albums, awarded by BASF Indonesia as The Best Selling Albums on BASF tapes and the fourth album Generasi Biru went multi-platinum, with several songs making in into Indonesia's top charts.
Since its inception, Slank's band members have changed frequently. Reasons have ranged from drug use and woman to money and differences in musical styles. The best line up of the band were Kaka (vocals), Bimbim (Drum), Pay (Guitar), Bongky (Bass) and Indra (Keyboard). In 2007, Slank released the new album, "Slow But Sure"; the album's first single "Slalu Begitu" was played heavily on Indonesian radio stations.
In 2008 Slank toured the U.S. and Europe. They have also played in various Asian countries, such as Thailand, the Philippines, Japan and South Korea.
Having more than fifteen albums sold and occasionally causing political controversy in Indonesia, Slank decided to travel to the USA to record their first English-speaking album, Anthem for the Broken-Hearted. Blues Saraceno was chosen to be the producer of the album. They recorded and mixed the album in only twenty-two days.
Java Jazz Festival 2009
In 2009, surprisingly, Slank was invited to take part in the well known Java Jazz Festival.
Their invitation to a jazz festival by Peter F.Gontha was meant as a challenge to see if they had what it took to perform in a jazz music setting.Their show that was attended by thousands successfully transformed their songs into jazz. In the spirit of reaching a greater jazz audience by combining genres, this show featured Michael Paulo, Ron King and Tony Monaco. It later was described as a "once in a lifetime experience".
For more than two decades, Slank has managed a healthy attitude towards their music career, which in turn has helped them throughout the years. Slank has also gained somewhat of a cult status in Indonesia, Slank fans are known as 'Slankers', and they have a reputation for devotion. They wave their Slank flags, which consist of the word 'Slank' shaped into a graffiti-style butterfly. They sing along with several punk-rock songs and perform a stadium-worthy call-and-response routine. According to one of the guitarists Ridho, "Slankers" span all ages from children to adult.
Act in the film
In 2009 Slank took part in a movie called Generasi Biru that depicts their life and journey. The movie was directed by Indonesian director Garin Nugroho. For this film Slank made a single, "Slank Dance", which contains a unique dance style created by their fans, the Slankers.
- Suit suit...hehehe (1990)
- Kampungan (1991)
- Piss (1993)
- Generasi Biru (1994)
- Minoritas (1996)
- Lagi Sedih (1997)
- Tujuh (1998)
- Mata Hati Reformasi (1998)
- 999 + 09, Vol. 1 (1999) (double album)
999 + 09, Vol. 2 (1999)
- Virus (2001)
- Satu Satu (2003)
- Road To Peace (2004)
- PLUR (2004)
- Slankissme (2005)
- Slow But Sure (2007)
- The Big Hip (2008)
- Anthem For The Broken Hearted (2009)
- Jurus Tandur No.18 (2010)
- I Slank U The Album (2012)
- Slank Nggak Ada Matinya (2013)
- Restart Hati (2015)
- Palalopeyank (2017)
- O.S.T. "Get Married" (2007)
- Original Soundtrack "Generasi Biru" The Movie (2009)
- O.S.T. "Get Married 2" (2009)
- Since 1983 - Malaysian Edition (2006)
- Slank feat. Big Hip - Japan Edition (2008)
- Anthem For The Broken Hearted - USA Edition (2008)
- Vocals - Akhadi Wira Satriaji (Kaka)
- Drums - Bimo Setiawan Almachzumi (Bimbim)
- Guitar - Abdee Negara (Abdee)
- Guitar - Mohammad Ridwan Hafiedz (Ridho)
- Bass - Ivan Kurniawan Arifin (Ivanka)
- "PROFIL Slank (Bahasa Indonesia)". Archived from the original on May 5, 2012. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- All Music Slank - Artist Biography, by Chris True
- "SLANK: MTV Icon Yang 'Haus' Penghargaan". Archived from the original on March 8, 2012. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- "Blues Saraceno on Slank". Archived from the original on January 29, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-13.
- "The Future of Music, by Ray Huling, January 25, 2009". Archived from the original on March 1, 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-17.
- jazzuality.com Slank Performance at Java Jazz Festival 2009, March 8, 2009