Slappy and the Stinkers
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
|Slappy and the Stinkers|
DVD cover art
|Directed by||Barnet Kellman|
|Produced by||Martha Chang|
|Written by||Robert Wolterstorff
Gary LeRoi Gray
|Music by||Craig Safan|
|Edited by||Jeff Wishengrad|
The Bubble Factory
|Distributed by||TriStar Pictures|
The film takes place at prestigious private school, Dartmoor Academy, where the uptight principal, Morgan Brinway (B.D. Wong) is forcing the second-graders to study opera appreciation. Five feisty kids (leader Sonny, contraption making Loaf, movie loving Domino, sympathetic albeit tough Lucy, and the reluctant participating Witz), nicknamed the "Stinkers" by Mr. Brinway, are secretly skipping class to create chaos on the school grounds. Witz becomes the test pilot for a flying chair, one of Sonny's newest ideas. The Stinkers go to Groundskeeper Roy's (Bronson Pinchot) shed and they steal his leaf blower. Before that, they stole Mr. Brinway's desk chair for the experiment to work. While they are getting ready to test the flying ride, the Stinkers fail to notice that the leaf blower was not entirely duct taped onto the desk chair. When turned it on, the leaf blower flew off the contraption but left Witz sitting in the chair. The leaf blower was heading straight for Mr. Brinway's new convertible, but luckily the leaf blower ran out of gas before it destroyed the car (during the chaos, Mr. Brinway learned of the Stinker's plan and tried to intervene). However, Roy accidentally obliterates the car's side door with his lawn mower blade, causing several thousand dollars of automobile body damage. The Stinkers are then taken to Mr. Brinway's office for punishment. Although he warns them that they would be expelled if they mess up one more time, they soon rebel while trying to keep a low profile and are involved in even more zany misadventures.
When the kids discover sea lion Slappy during an aquarium field trip, Sonny and the others decide to free him (like Willy from Free Willy) by smuggling him back onto the school bus and hide him in Mr. Brinway's hot tub at his house; as a form of celebrating their success, they order fish and chips and have a little party. After Mr. Brinway arrives home earlier than usual, the Stinkers quickly retrieve Slappy unbeknownst to Mr. Brinway and hide Slappy at Witz's house. During this time, Roy mistakes the sea lion for a giant gopher and sets out to kill him, but to no avail. Animal thief Anthony Boccoli (Sam McMurray) plans to make off with Slappy so he could to sell him to a Bulgarian circus, but before he could do that he must capture the sea lion after originally trying to buy it from a corrupt aquarium employee.
The next day, the Stinkers take Slappy with them to the beach so they can set him free, but Slappy refuses to leave. After trying numerous attempts to get the sea lion in the water, the kids discover that there was an orca swimming nearby and, since orcas eat sea lions, that's why Slappy didn't want to go in the water and refuses to leave them. Sonny then decides they should return Slappy back to the aquarium after they attend a festival for parents and their kids back at Dartmoor. After Roy discovers Slappy, he tries to dispose of him which causes the festival attractions to get ruined almost immediately. Assuming this was caused by the Stinkers, Mr. Brinway expels them. The Stinkers then discover that Boccoli kidnapped Slappy and his plans to do with him, which prompts the kids to set off on a rescue mission.
The group locate Boccoli's hideout and quickly dispose of him by squirting him with water, blowing sawdust onto his body, and shooting him with Roy's gopher bomb gun. But after saving Slappy, the Stinkers get chased by Boccoli who plans to kill them all. Meanwhile, Mr. Brinway and the class go on a hiking field trip to look at birds, which gets interrupted when the Stinkers crash through and Mr. Brinway becomes part of the getaway. After being chased to a log flume, the Stinkers and Mr. Brinway escape Boccoli by going down it; Boccoli tries to drown the group by turning on the flume, but the water is blocked by a beaver's nest and once he removes it (while getting bit by a beaver in the process), the water splashes him and he slides down the spillway. The Stinkers, Slappy, and Mr. Brinway safely land into the lake below, whereas Boccoli falls onto a floating log. Roy, who is also the school bus driver, ties a rope around Boccoli, whom the latter presumably gets arrested. Slappy is returned to the aquarium, Mr. Brinway withdraws the Stinkers' expulsion, and the Stinkers themselves become heroes.
- B.D. Wong as Morgan Brinway, the weary headmaster of Dartmoor Academy. He dislikes the Stinkers strongly.
- Bronson Pinchot as Roy, the clumsy and awkward the groundskeeper of Dartmoor Academy. The Stinkers are his friends.
- Jennifer Coolidge as Harriet, Mr. Brinway's girly and hilarious assistant. She is always unaware of the Stinkers' rambunctious acts; unlike Mr. Brinway, she cares a lot for the Stinkers and sometimes tries to defend them.
- Joseph Ashton as Sonny, who is the leader of the Stinkers. He makes his own rules and the others follow them. He is the source of a lot of the Stinkers mischief, and enjoys everything they do. It was his idea to free Slappy. He is on scholarship.
- Gary LeRoi Gray as Domino, a member of the Stinkers. He has watched more movies than most people, let alone the group members.
- Carl Michael Lindner as Allen "Witz" Witzowitz, a member of the Stinkers who, unlike Sonny, is always cautious about everything the Stinkers do. He tries to always do what the adults say, and never wants to get in trouble. He is on scholarship, along with Sonny and Lucy. He is also the only asthmatic member of the group, as indicated several times throughout the movie.
- Scarlett Pomers as Lucy, a member of the Stinkers. She is the only girl of the group. She is tough and funny. She has a crush on Witz. She is on scholarship, along with Sonny and Witz.
- Travis Tedford as Loaf, a member of the Stinkers and the group's mechanic. He designs many of the Stinkers tools, but they usually end up as failures.
- David Dukes as Spencer "Spence" Dane Sr., Spencer Dane Jr.'s father. Brinway is always nice to him because he relys on him for donations to the school.
- Spencer Klein as Spencer Dane Jr., Mr.Brinway's favourite student and the son of Spencer Dane Sr. He has a deep hatred for the Stinkers, and they hate him back. He is constantly insulting the Stinkers and appears to be a snob who looks down on them due to their modest backgrounds, but they get him back with pranks.
- Sam McMurray as Anthony Boccoli, an animal broker and the main antoagonist who wants to sell Slappy to a Bulgarian circus, but he fails when the Stinkers rescue Slappy. Everyone gets his name mixed up with "Broccoli".
- Terry Walters as Nancy
- Bodhi Elfman as Tag
- Terri Garber as Witz's Mom
- Jamie Donnelly as Aquarium Information Woman
- Rotten Tomatoes, "Slappy and the Stinkers (1997)". Accessed July 24, 2014.