Slaughter of the Soul
|Slaughter of the Soul|
|Studio album by At the Gates|
|Released||October 3, 1995|
|Studio||Studio Fredman, Gothenburg, Sweden|
|Genre||Melodic death metal|
|At the Gates chronology|
Slaughter of the Soul is the fourth studio album by Swedish melodic death metal band At the Gates, released on October 3, 1995. It was their last album before their eleven-year breakup from 1996 to 2007. Slaughter of the Soul is considered a landmark in melodic death metal and played a major role in popularizing the Gothenburg scene, alongside The Jester Race by In Flames and The Gallery by Dark Tranquillity. The album was recorded and mixed in Studio Fredman, early 1995.
Andy LaRocque's neo-classical guest solo on "Cold" was widely acclaimed as one of the greatest metal solos and guitarist Anders Björler admitted in 2007 that he still couldn't play it properly.
"Blinded by Fear" was covered by The Haunted (composed largely of ex-At The Gates members) on their Japanese version of their live/double disc album, Live Rounds in Tokyo and was also covered by Fleshgod Apocalypse on their Mafia EP. The song also appeared in the game Rock Band 2 as downloadable content.
Tracks from the album have made appearances in several video games.
- "Blinded by Fear" was made available as downloadable content for the Rock Band video game series on March 28, 2008. Later, it was included in the game's retail "Metal Track Pack" add-on content disc, released on September 22, 2009 in North America. The song is considered one of the most difficult songs in the series to perform on drums, due to its fast tempo.
- The title track is featured in both Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned and Tony Hawk's Proving Ground.
A 2002 Reissue contained 11 tracks from the original 1995 release of Slaughter of the Soul, plus 6 bonus audio tracks. Three of the bonus tracks were cover songs, two were demo tracks, and 1 was a previously unreleased track, recorded during the Slaughter of the Soul sessions. The 2006 reissue contained everything from the 2002 reissue, but also included an additional bonus DVD, which featured a 35-minute behind-the-scenes documentary as the highlight. The 2008 reissue contains everything from the 2002 and 2006 rereleases (all audio and DVD material), as well as additional DVD footage—an eight-song live set, recorded in Kraków, Poland on December 30, 1995.
Reviews for Slaughter of the Soul have been mostly positive. AllMusic's Steve Huey awarded the album five stars and called it an "excellent example of Gothenburg-style melodic death metal, and certainly the band's best and most focused album to date."
In 2005, the album was ranked number 300 in Rock Hard magazine's book of The 500 Greatest Rock & Metal Albums of All Time. Metal Injection ranked Slaughter of the Soul No. 8 on their list "Top 10 Influential Heavy Metal Albums." Slaughter of the Soul was inducted into the Decibel Magazine Hall of Fame in March 2005, being the second album overall to receive such award.
All lyrics written by Lindberg; all music composed by Björler, Björler, except where noted.
|1.||"Blinded by Fear"||A. Björler||3:12|
|2.||"Slaughter of the Soul"||A. Björler / J. Björler||3:02|
|3.||"Cold"||A. Björler / J.Björler||3:27|
|4.||"Under a Serpent Sun"||A. Björler||3:58|
|5.||"Into the Dead Sky" (instrumental)||J. Björler / A. Björler||2:12|
|6.||"Suicide Nation"||A. Björler||3:35|
|7.||"World of Lies"||A. Björler, J. Björler, Larsson||3:35|
|8.||"Unto Others"||A. Björler / J. Björler||3:11|
|10.||"Need"||A. Björler / J.Björler||2:36|
|11.||"The Flames of the End"||A. Björler, Johansson, Lindberg||2:57|
|2002 Reissue bonus tracks|
|12.||"Legion" (Slaughter Lord cover)||3:54|
|13.||"The Dying" (Unreleased track from Slaughter of the Soul sessions)||3:18|
|14.||"Captor of Sin" (Slayer cover)||Hanneman, King||3:19|
|15.||"Unto Others" ('95 Demo)||3:06|
|16.||"Suicide Nation" ('95 Demo)||3:22|
|17.||"Bister Verklighet" (No Security cover)||1:55|
|2006 reissue bonus DVD|
|1.||"Making of Slaughter of the Soul"|
|3.||"Blinded by Fear" (music video)|
|2008 reissue bonus DVD|
|1.||"Terminal Spirit Disease" (live in Kraków, Poland)|
|2.||"Cold" (live in Kraków, Poland)|
|3.||"The Swarm" (live in Kraków, Poland)|
|4.||"Blinded by Fear" (live in Kraków, Poland)|
|5.||"Nausea" (live in Kraków, Poland)|
|6.||"Forever Blind" (live in Kraków, Poland)|
|7.||"Need" (live in Kraków, Poland)|
|8.||"Kingdom Gone" (live in Kraków, Poland)|
|9.||"Making of Slaughter of the Soul"|
|11.||"Blinded by Fear" (music video)|
Writing, performance and production credits are adapted from the album liner notes.
- 01. Blinded by Fear (Music: A. Björler - Lyrics: Tomas Lindberg)
- 02. Slaughter of the Soul (Music: A. Björler / J.Björler - Lyrics: Tomas Lindberg)
- 03. Cold (Music: A. Björler - Lyrics: Tomas Lindberg)
- 04. Under a Serpent Sun (Music: A. Björler - Lyrics: Tomas Lindberg)
- 05. Into the Dead Sky (Music: J. Björler / A.Björler - Instrumental)
- 06. Suicide Nation (Music: A. Björler - Lyrics: Tomas Lindberg)
- 07. World of Lies (Music: A. Björler / J.Björler / Larsson - Lyrics: Tomas Lindberg)
- 08. Unto Others (Music: A. Björler / J.Björler - Lyrics: Tomas Lindberg)
- 09. Nausea (Music: A. Björler - Lyrics: Tomas Lindberg)
- 10. Need (Music: A. Björler / J.Björler - Lyrics: Tomas Lindberg)
- 11. The Flames of the End (Music: A. Björler / Johansson / Lindberg - Instrumental)
At the Gates
- Tomas Lindberg − vocals
- Anders Björler − guitar, phaser drums on "Into the Dead Sky"
- Martin Larsson − guitar
- Jonas Björler − bass
- Adrian Erlandsson − drums
Artwork and design
- Kristian Wåhlin − artwork, logo
- Absolute Design Associates – additional artwork and layout
- Frequent Form – logo concept
|Japanese Albums (Oricon)||200|
- "Melodic Death Metal". About.com. 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Morgan, Anthony. ""The Flames of the End"? - Guitarist Anders Björler wishes to pen the final chapter in the glorious history of Swedish legends At The Gates". Lucem Fero. Retrieved 1 June 2013. External link in
- "'Blinded By Fear' - At the Gates // Rock Band". Rockband.com. Archived from the original on 2009-03-03. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- "At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul Review". About.com. 2011-09-14. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Huey, Steve. Slaughter of the Soul - At the Gates at AllMusic
- Wendel, Kai. "REVIEWALBUM". Rock Hard (in German) (RH #101). Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Bartender (January 16, 2005). "At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul (album review 6)". www.sputnikmusic.com. Sputnikmusic. Retrieved October 18, 2015.
- [...], Rock Hard (Hrsg.). [Red.: Michael Rensen. Mitarb.: Götz Kühnemund] (2005). Best of Rock & Metal die 500 stärksten Scheiben aller Zeiten. Königswinter: Heel. p. 92. ISBN 3-89880-517-4.
- Staff writer(s) (March 6, 2013). "8. AT THE GATES Slaughter of the Soul - Top 10 Influential Heavy Metal Albums". www.metalinjection.net. Metal Injection. Retrieved October 18, 2015.
- Chase, Jesse. "At the Gates – "Slaughter of the Soul"". Decibel. Retrieved 2018-05-11.
- Slaughter of the Soul (Reissue) (liner notes). At the Gates. Earache Records. 2008.
- "スローター・オブ・ザ・ソウル - アット・ザ・ゲイツ". Retrieved October 18, 2015.