Slayers Royal 2
|Slayers Royal 2|
Sega Saturn cover art by Rui Araizumi
3 September 1998 PlayStation
1 July 1999
Slayers Royal 2 (スレイヤーズろいやる2) is a tactical role-playing game developed by Onion Egg and published by Entertainment Software Publishing and Kadokawa Shoten in 1998 for the Sega Saturn and in 1999 for the PlayStation, exclusively in Japan. It is a follow-up to 1997's Slayers Royal but is a standalone story in the Slayers franchise and not a direct sequel. The game sold well, but its reviews were mostly only moderately positive.
Slayers Royal 2 retains its predecessor's overall gameplay of a tactical role-playing game with exploration phases, but with some differences. Notable changes in comparison with the original Slayers Royal include a simplification of the town-navigation system (which no longer resembles adventure games), the introduction of day/night cycle, and the presence of freely explorable dungeons throughout the game. The combat system has undergone a radical overhaul since the previous game. Instead of the pseudo-real-time turn system, it is now purely turn-based. Its other novelties include a new magic system that demands an uninterrupted invocation before being cast, taking a time proportional to the spell's power, and a necessity to keep the player's party well-fed for them to perform best in battle.
|This article needs an improved plot summary. (July 2016)|
Slayers Royal 2 was commercially successful, having remained on Japan's Sega Saturn top ten list five weeks after its release. However, the game received slightly-above-average review ratings, including 25/40 from Famitsu and 18/30 from Japan's Sega Saturn Magazine. In the West, French magazine Joypad scored the Saturn version a 7/10, while Spanish magazine Superjuegos opined that although Slayers Royal 2 "is not Vandal Hearts" it should please the fans of the series and noted the game's "spectacular" animation. The website RPGFan gave the Saturn version a score of 78%, praising its graphics and recommending it for the fans of the anime version.
- "Slayers Royal 2 Release Information for Saturn". GameFAQs. Retrieved June 11, 2009.
- "ゲームチラシコレクション プレイステーション ロールプレイングゲームチラシ". Gamedic.jpn.org. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "Slayers Royal 2 Release Information for PlayStation". GameFAQs. Retrieved June 11, 2009.
- "スレイヤーズろいやる2公式攻略ガイド | 中古 | ゲーム攻略本 | 通販ショップの駿河屋". Suruga-ya.jp. 1999-06-30. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- Sega Saturn Magazine (Japan) 35/1997 (17 October 1997) p.14.
- "スレイヤーズろいやる2 まとめ [セガサターン] / ファミ通.com". Famitsu.com. 2014-02-22. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "スレイヤーズろいやる2 まとめ [PS] / ファミ通.com". Famitsu.com. 2014-02-22. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "File:SSM JP 19980911 1998-25.pdf" (PDF). Sega Retro. 2015-10-02. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "Photographic image" (JPG). Download.abandonware.org. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- Superjuegos 90 p.148-149.
- "RPGFan Reviews - Slayers Royal 2". Rpgfan.com. Retrieved 2016-01-14.