Sleep Through the Static
|Sleep Through the Static|
|Studio album by Jack Johnson|
|Released||February 5, 2008|
|Genre||Folk rock, soft rock|
|Jack Johnson chronology|
|Singles from Sleep Through the Static|
|The Boston Globe||(mixed)|
|Yahoo! Music UK|||
Sleep Through the Static is the fourth studio album by singer-songwriter Jack Johnson, released in the United States on February 5, 2008. The album was announced on Johnson's website as renovation began for the release of the album. It was recorded at the Los Angeles Solar Powered Plastic Plant, which makes it Johnson's first album made outside of Hawaii. It was produced by JP Plunier.
The album was played live for the first time at the BBC in December for a select number of fans. Despite having been reviewed mostly unenthusiastically by professional music critics, worldwide sales of the album were on par with Johnson's previous albums.
The first single, "If I Had Eyes", was released via Johnson's MySpace page on December 17, 2007. The second single from the album was "Hope" and was released on September, peaking at number No. 30 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks.
The album debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling about 375,000 copies in its first week, including 139,000 digital downloads. This was a record high for weekly digital album sales. It also debuted at number one on the Worldwide chart with sales of 577,000. It held the record at iTunes for most digital downloads in a single day, until Coldplay's Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends set a new record.
Sleep Through the Static remained at number one on the Billboard 200 in its second week of release, by which time it had sold over 180,000 copies, as well as its third week, in which it sold 105,000 copies. It fell from the number one spot in its fourth week, in which it placed third with about 92,000 copies sold. The album was made #45 in Q's 50 Best Albums of the Year 2008.
All songs written by Jack Johnson, except where noted.
- "All at Once" – 3:38
- "Sleep Through the Static" – 3:43
- "Hope" (Jack Johnson, Zach Rogue) – 3:42
- "Angel" – 2:02
- "Enemy" – 3:48
- "If I Had Eyes" – 3:59
- "Same Girl" – 2:10
- "What You Thought You Need" – 5:27
- "Adrift" – 3:56
- "Go On" – 4:35
- "They Do, They Don't" – 4:10
- "While We Wait" – 1:26
- "Monsoon" (Jack Johnson, Merlo Podlewski) – 4:17
- "Losing Keys" – 4:28
- "Home* (Acoustic) (*Bonus track on some versions e.g. Australian release)" – 3:30
- Jack Johnson - vocals and guitar
- Adam Topol - drums
- Merlo Podlewski - bass
- Madison Young - flute and tambourine
- Zach Gill - keys and vocals
- Danny Riley - backup vocals on "If I Had Eyes" (died in 2007)
- JP Plunier - backup vocals and claps on "If I Had Eyes"
- Emmett Malloy and Josh Arroyo - hand claps on "If I Had Eyes"
- Trent Johnson - acoustic guitar on "Go On"
|Austrian Albums Chart||49|
|German Albums Chart||42|
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||Gold||0*|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Platinum||15,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||100,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
|Sleep Through the Static: Remixed|
|Remix album by Jack Johnson|
|Released||September 23, 2008|
Sleep Through the Static: Remixed is a 2008 remix album of songs from Sleep Through the Static.
- "Hope" (Nightmares on Wax Remix)
- "Losing Keys" (Katalyst Remix)
- "Monsoon" (Money Mark Casio Remix)
- "Angel" (Kid Koala Remix)
- "They Do, They Don't" (DJ Tropikal Remix)
- "Hope" (Mario C. Remix)
- "If I Had Eyes" (Culver City Dub Collective Remix)
- "Enemy" (Worst Friends Remix)
- "Adrift" (live studio session)
- "Enemy" (live studio session)
- "Sleep Through the Static/I Love You and Buddha Too" (live studio sessions)
- Allmusic review
- Billboard review
- Blender review
- The Boston Globe review
- Entertainment Weekly review
- Rolling Stone review
- The Guardian review
- The Observer review
- Slant Magazine review
- Yahoo! Music UK review
- Katie Hasty, "Digital Sales Propel Johnson To Second No. 1", Billboard.com, February 13, 2008.
- Katie Hasty, "Johnson Remains No. 1; Winehouse, Hancock Soar", Billboard.com, February 20, 2008.
- Katie Hasty, "Johnson's 'Static' Prevails Again On Album Chart", Billboard.com, February 27, 2008.
- Katie Hasty, "Janet Dethrones Jack To Top Billboard 200", Billboard.com, March 5, 2008.
- "The 50 Best Albums of 2008". Q. January 2009: 82
- "Jack Johnson - Sleep Through The Static worldwide chart positions and trajectories". aCharts.us. Retrieved February 15, 2008.
- "lescharts.com - Jack Johnson - Sleep Through The Static". lescharts.com. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- Canada Albums Top 100 Chart Archived 2009-10-04 at WebCite
- "Chartverfolgung / Johnson,Jack / Longplay". musicline.de. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- Greek Albums Top 50 Chart Archived 2007-07-15 at the Wayback Machine.
- http://www.mtv.de/charts/albumjahrescharts2008 Archived January 18, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2008 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Austrian album certifications – Jack Johnson – Sleep Through The Static" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter Jack Johnson in the field Interpret. Enter Sleep Through The Static in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Jack Johnson; 'Sleep Through the Static')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Irish album certifications – Jack Johnson – Sleep Through the Static". Irish Recorded Music Association.
- "Japanese album certifications – Jack Johnson – Sleep Through the Static" (in Japanese). Recording Industry Association of Japan. Select 2008年2月 on the drop-down menu
- "Latest Gold / Platinum Albums". Radioscope. 17 July 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-07-24.
- "British album certifications – Jack Johnson – Sleep Through the Static". British Phonographic Industry. Select albums in the Format field. Select Gold in the Certification field. Enter Sleep Through the Static in the search field and then press Enter.
- "American album certifications – Jack Johnson – Sleep Through the Static". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.