Sleeper is an unincorporated community in Laclede County, Missouri, United States. It is located about one mile north of Interstate 44 on Missouri Supplemental Route F, or about five miles northeast of Lebanon. Several homes and a fire station are located here.
A post office called Sleeper was established in 1883, and remained in operation until 1955. The community was named after "Sleeper" a railroad employee. The story continues this railroad official often was noticeably tired.
- "Sleeper". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Laclede County Rural Fire Protection Districts And Volunteer Fire Departments." Laclede County Clerk. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Laclede County Place Names, 1928–1945 (archived)". The State Historical Society of Missouri. Archived from the original on 24 June 2016. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Post Offices". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Moyer, Armond; Moyer, Winifred (1958). The origins of unusual place-names. Keystone Pub. Associates. p. 120.
|This Laclede County, Missouri state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|