Sleeping in the Nothing
|Sleeping in the Nothing|
|Studio album by Kelly Osbourne|
|Released||June 7, 2005|
|Genre||New wave, synthpop, dance-rock|
|Kelly Osbourne chronology|
|Singles from Sleeping in the Nothing|
Sleeping in the Nothing is the second album by Kelly Osbourne. Unlike the pop punk sound of her first album, Sleeping in the Nothing features Osbourne singing to '80s-inspired electro beats. For the role of producer, Osbourne worked with Linda Perry, widely known for working with artists such as Christina Aguilera, Pink, Courtney Love and Gwen Stefani.
The album received generally positive critical feedback, with many reviews beginning with an admonition to forget about her previous work. Billboard said "the singer sounds incredibly at home in such surroundings." Giving the album three out of five stars, Rolling Stone called it an "occasionally invigorating disc of shiny dance rock".
The first single from the album, "One Word" peaked at number 1 on three Billboard dance charts. Osbourne became the first artist in the history of the Billboard charts to top all three dance surveys in the same week. The single also reached number 9 on the UK Singles Chart. The album peaked at number 117 on the Billboard 200, selling just under 9,000 copies despite receiving some favorable reviews.
Osbourne promoted the album with several appearances on TV shows and award ceremonies, including CD:UK, and the MTV Australia Video Music Awards 2005. Osbourne also made an appearance on The Jonathan Ross Show, during which Ross made negative comments on Osbourne's weight. The comments eventually caused Osbourne to have a nervous breakdown in June 2005, which sent her to rehab. This stopped any further promotion for the album, and all future single releases were canceled.
All songs written by Linda Perry, except where noted.
- "One Word" – 4:01
- "Uh Oh" – 3:12
- "Redlight" – 3:42
- "Secret Lover" (Kelly Osbourne, Linda Perry) – 3:24
- "I Can't Wait" – 4:00
- "Edge of Your Atmosphere" (Kelly Osbourne, Linda Perry) – 3:45
- "Suburbia" (Kelly Osbourne, Linda Perry) – 3:34
- "Don't Touch Me While I'm Sleeping" – 3:19
- "Save Me" (Kelly Osbourne, Linda Perry) – 3:47
- "Entropy" – 3:19
- "One Word" (Chris Cox Remix) – 7:55
- Japanese edition bonus track
- "Sound of the Crowd" (Ian Burden, Philip Oakey - 3:55
- "Boy" (Kim Fowley, Ronnie Lee) - 2:57
- "Two of Hearts" (John Mitchell, Sue Gatlin, Tim Greene) – 3:56
|UK Albums (OCC)||57|
|US Billboard 200||117|
|US Dance/Electronic Albums (Billboard)||2|
|US Top Heatseekers Albums (Billboard)||2|
|"One Word"||Australian Singles Chart||38|
|UK Singles Chart||9|
|US Dance Radio Airplay||1|
|US Pop 100||82|
|World Dance/Trance Top 30 Singles||1|
|"One Word" (Chris Cox Remixes)||US Hot Dance Music/Club Play||45|
|"One Word" (Chris Cox/M. Rizzo Remixes)||US Hot Dance Music/Club Play||1|
- Allmusic review
- Blender review
- Rolling Stone review
- "New CD Releases". Star-News. 9 June 2005. Retrieved 2 January 2016.
- Stylus review
- M. P.; Cohen, Jonathan (2005-06-11), "Sleeping in the Nothing". Billboard. 117 (24):50-51
- No byline (2005-06-16), "Kelly Osbourne: Sleeping in the Nothing". Rolling Stone. (976):98
- "Kelly Osbourne | Artist | Official Charts". UK Albums Chart Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- "Kelly Osbourne – Chart history" Billboard 200 for Kelly Osbourne. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- "Kelly Osbourne – Chart history" Billboard Dance/Electronic Albums for Kelly Osbourne. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- "Kelly Osbourne – Chart history" Billboard Top Heatseekers Albums for Kelly Osbourne. Retrieved October 17, 2016.