||This article's plot summary may be too long or excessively detailed. (August 2014)|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Joe Nussbaum|
|Produced by||Bob Cooper
|Written by||Elisa Bell|
|Music by||Deborah Lurie|
|Cinematography||James L. Carter|
|Edited by||Craig P. Herring|
Julie Corky (Alexa Vega) now a freshman in high school, host a slumber party. She invites her former best friend, Staci Blake (Sara Paxton), who declines. Julie is worried about how she will fit in during high school and has a crush on the popular Steve Phillips (Sean Faris), a fellow high schooler. To her dismay, Julie's best friend Hannah (Mika Boorem), is moving to Vancouver. At school, Julie, Hannah and their friend Farrah (Scout Taylor-Compton) witness Staci's friend Liz (Brie Larson) bullying Yancy (Kallie Flynn Childress), a girl their age who is somewhat overweight. Julie feels sorry for Yancy, and as a result invites her to her sleepover.
Julie and the girls are bombarded by Russell "SpongeBob" Hayes (Evan Peters) and his posse of skateboard pals Lance (Hunter Parrish) and Miles (Shane Hunter). SpongeBob has interest in Julie but Julie shows no interest. After being dumped by Todd, Staci goes to Julie's house and challenges the girls to a scavenger hunt. The winning team gets to sit at The Fountain, the cool lunch spot, and the losing team has to sit by the dumpsters. Julie is reluctant to accept, but Hannah does so despite Julie's unease.
The girls are emailed thescavenger hunt list which includes dressing a window mannequin at Old Navy in their own clothes, have a guy from DatesSafe.com buy them a drink at the Cosmo Club, stealing a decal off of a Patrol Tech Security car and, to Julie's horror, borrowing a pair of boxer shorts from Steve Phillips. With Julie's mom Gabby(Jane Lynch) goes out with a friend, and her dad Jay (Jeff Garlin) is preoccupied with fixing their house's water filter, Julie and the girls sneak out. Ren (Sam Huntington), Julie's older college-dropout brother, agrees to cover for them in exchange for money. After the girls sneak out, SpongeBob, Lance and Miles skateboard to the house and climb up through an upstairs window. The boys manage to avoid being caught from Mr. Corky.
They then notice the scavenger hunt list on Julie's computer and decide to join in on the hunt themselves. With the help of Yancy's dad's Nissan Hypermini, the girls make it to Old Navy. Staci and Liz's team have already dressed their mannequins and locked the window display. The girls are forced to dress male mannequins and are caught in the act by Officer Sherman (Steve Carell), but escape by locking him in the display window a mannequin arm. When they arrive at the Cosmo club, Julie and Hannah sneak in by hiding in an empty drum case after being rejected by the guard. Yancy and Farrah wait outside and a guy named Peter (Ryan Slattery) sees Yancy and offers to sneak her in.
She declines but Peter flatters her making her smile as he then leaves. Julie, who disguises herself as "June", quickly discovers that her blind date is her English teacher Mr. Corrado (Johnny Sneed). He eventually recognizes her and is distraught. When Julie explains the situation, he understands and admits that he never got to sit by The Fountain. He then buys her a ginger ale and Julie and Hannah leave. But as they do, they spot Julie's mother dancing on one of the tables.
Julie drops her scarf as they rush out, which Gabby picks. Recognizing it as hers, Gabby phones the house wanting to talk to Julie. Due to the car being trapped in parallel parking, Julie skateboards home and is seen by Steve and his friend Gregg (Douglas Smith), which ignites curiosity in Steve. Julie barely makes it home just in time to make the call. After arriving at Steve's house, Julie goes to get the boxers while the girls charge the car. Cautiously, Julie enters the house and is seen by Staci and Liz. Humorously, Liz calls PatrolTech Security claiming to see a "suspicious person". Inside, Steve is looking through old yearbooks trying to find pictures of Julie.
Julie hides in the shower as Steve comes in, unknowingly undressing in front of Julie. Outside, the Hypermini crashes into Officer Sherman's patrol car, causing Steve and Gregg to look out the window and giving Julie the opportunity to flee, grabbing the boxers as she goes. Julie is stopped by Officer Sherman, but the girls manage to drive by and give her the chance to quickly jump in and to take off, while taking the decal off the PatrolTech cruiser. All girls race to the high school parking lot at the same time, suggesting a tie breaker, which Julie and Hannah reluctantly accept. The first team to get the king or queen's crown at the dance wins.
At the dance, Staci's boyfriend , Todd (Thad Luckinbill) is spotted kissing a girl. Staci confronts them, which turns into a cat fight and she loses. SpongeBob sticks up for Staci, much to her surprise. Staci enters the dance contest with SpongeBob and while dancing, SpongeBob's hunt list falls out of his pocket, which Steve finds. Gregg then points Julie out to him on the dance floor. Staci and SpongeBob win the dance and get their picture taken. Farrah accidentally lets it slip to Yancy that Staci was originally the third guest, not her. She feels betrayed at first, but bounces back quickly after Peter turns up and dedicates a song to her and they share a dance.
Steve is crowned King and chooses a surprised Julie as his dance partner. During the dance, Steve takes his crown off and places it on Julie's head saying "you win", gaining victory for Julie and her friends. Outside, Steve says he knew about the scavenger hunt due to the list he found. They are about to kiss when Julie gets a call from Ren urging them to hurry home. Julie and the girls race home and Julie looses her crown in the process. Officer Sherman passes on a bike and runs it over. The girls make it home just in time to pretend being asleep as Mr. and Mrs. Corky come in to check on them.
It turns out Mr. Corky knows about his wife's clubbing, but doesn't mind saying everyone needs a night out every now and then. The next morning at breakfast, Julie's mom confronts her asking "exactly" what they did last night, hinting with the scarf. Surprisingly, Mrs. Corky isn't mad but confesses its difficult to believe how fast Julie is growing up. After her friends leave, Julie goes back to her room where she notices her dented crown outside her window. As she reaches for it, Steve comes into view and places the crown on her head again. They then kiss passionately. The film ends with Staci and Liz eating their lunch by the school dumpsters among the trash and the social rejects.
- Alexa Vega as Julie Corky, a fourteen-year-old girl who has a sleepover with her best friends to celebrate the summer.
- Mika Boorem as Hannah Carlson, a teenager who is the best friend of Julie Corky, and ends up moving to Vancouver. She is somewhat the leader of the group because of her leadership and determination.
- Jane Lynch as Gabby Corky, the mother of Julie and Ren Corky, and the wife of Jay Corky. Gabby is an overprotective mother and doesn't want her daughter, Julie, to ever get into trouble, but during the sleepover she has plans of her own to go to "The Cosmo Club."
- Sara Paxton as Staci Blake, is a typical middle school mean girl, her and her best friend Liz, plan a scavenger hunt for her and Julie and her friends, which Hannah ends up changing the rules so Julie, Farrah, and Yancy, can sit at "The Fountain" freshman year of high school.
- Sam Huntington as Ren Corky, is a grown man who still lives at the Corky house when he should be at college, according to Julie.
- Brie Larson as Liz Daniels, is the queen bee of the eighth grade, she is the best friend of Staci, but Liz is a little bit more popular. Liz writes down almost everything on the scavenger hunt list.
- Kallie Flynn Childress as Yancy Williams, is a slightly over-weight teenage girl, who is very self-conscious and worries about what people think about her, until she meets Peter, an older guy who treats Yancy like she is the most perfect and important girl in the world.
- Scout Taylor-Compton as Farrah James, is Hannah and Julie's best friend and is known for being the fashionista of the group.
- Sean Faris as Steve Phillips, the local hottie of high school, at first doesn't notice Julie, but then later falls deeply in love with her after he sees her skateboarding with a dress on.
- Steve Carell as Officer Sherman Shiner, Sherman is one of the those cops or security guards who the only reason are security guards is to boss people around, he has his eye on Julie and her friends during their sleepover because of the loud noise and traveling through town.
- Jeff Garlin as Mr. Corky, Jay is Julie and Ren's father, who has his heart depending on fixing the water in their house during the sleepover.
- Evan Peters as Russell "SpongeBob" Hayes, Spongebob is very clumsy skateboarder who has his heart set on making Julie fall in love with him.
- Hunter Parrish as Lance Gregory
- Alice Greczyn as Linda
- Thad Luckinbill as Todd
- Katija Pevec as Molly
- Johnny Sneed as Mr. Corrado
- Eileen April Boylan as Jenna Allen
- Ryan Slattery as Peter
- Summer Glau as Ticket Girl
- Max Van Ville as Skater Dude
- Shane Hunter as Scooter
- Douglas Smith as Gregg
The film opened at #10 in the box office with $4,171,226. The film would later make $9,436,390 in the United States and $712,563 internationally, resulting in a $10,148,953 gross worldwide, on a $10 million budget.
- "Imaginary Superstar- Skye Sweetnam
- "Freeze Frame" - Jump5
- "I Want Everything" - Hope 7
- "That's What Girls Do" - No Secrets
- "Stuck" - Allister
- "Havin' Fun" - Planet Melvin
- "Remember" - Gabriel Mann
- "We Close Our Eyes" - Allister
- "Hole in the Head" - Sugababes
- "Next Big Me" - Verbalicious
- "Heaven Is a Place on Earth" - Becky Baeling
- "Wannabe" - Spice Girls
- Official website
- Sleepover at the Internet Movie Database
- Sleepover at Box Office Mojo
- Sleepover (2004) at Rotten Tomatoes