Sleepy Sun in 2013
|Origin||Santa Cruz, California, USA|
|Years active||2005-2007 (as Mania)
2007-present (as Sleepy Sun)
|Labels||ATP Recordings, Dine Alone Records|
|Past members||Rachel Fannan
Sleepy Sun is an American psychedelic rock band from San Francisco, California consisting of vocalist Bret Constantino, guitarists Matt Holliman and Evan Reiss, bassist Jack Allen, and drummer Brian Tice. Original co-lead vocalist Rachel Fannan left the band in October 2010.
Sleepy Sun formed as Mania in 2005 at UC Santa Cruz by students Bret Constantino, Matt Holliman, Evan Reiss, Brice Tice and original bass player Hubert Guy. The band progressed from their original garage rock stylings into psychedelia, and changed their name to Sleepy Sun in 2007, with the addition of former Birds Fled from Me singer Rachel Fannan. Soon after, the band set to work on their debut and self released Embrace in 2008, which received favorable reviews. Shortly after the release of the album, Guy left the band and was soon replaced by new bass player Jack Allen. The album was re-issued by ATP Recordings on June 16, 2009.
At the end of October 2010, Fannan left the band citing lack of input into the bands creative process and conflicts with other band members. Fannan continued her career as a solo artist afterwards and released a solo album Deeper Lurking. In 2011, Sleepy Sun went on tour with The Black Angels.
The band released Spine Hits on April 10, 2012 (the band's first studio album without Fannan) and Maui Tears on January 28, 2014.
- Embrace (ATP Recordings, June 16, 2009)
- Fever (ATP Recordings, June 1, 2010)
- Spine Hits (ATP Recordings, April 10, 2012)
- Maui Tears (Dine Alone Records, January 28, 2014)
- White Dove 7" (Sol Diamond, November 2008)
- New Age 10" (ATP Recordings, March 2009)
- Sleepy Son 10" (ATP Recordings, August 2009)
- Open Eyes Digital EP (ATP Recordings, April 2010)
- Marina 10" (ATP Recordings, September 2010)
- Wild Machines Digital Single (ATP Recordings, November 2010)
- "Where Did the Night Fall" by UNKLE, featured on track "Follow Me Down" (Surrender All, May 10, 2010)
- "What Child is This?" on Psych-Out Christmas (Cleopatra Records, 2013)
Sources and References
- Berman, Stuart (16 June 2009). "Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Sleepy Sun: Embrace". Pitchfork. Retrieved 13 April 2010.
- Turner, Luke (8 May 2009). "Album Review: Sleepy Sun". NME. Retrieved 13 April 2010.
- Pehling, Dave (25 February 2010). "Sleepy Sun rises in the local psych scene". SF Weekly. Retrieved 13 April 2010.
- Maerz, Jennifer (20 June 2009). "Last Night: Sleepy Sun at Great American Music Hall". SF Weekly Blogs. Retrieved 13 April 2010.
- "Sleepy Sun reveal details of second album, tour with Arctic Monkeys". The Bay Bridged. 25 March 2010. Retrieved 13 April 2010.