Slide (Goo Goo Dolls song)
|Single by Goo Goo Dolls|
|from the album Dizzy Up the Girl|
|Released||September 17, 1998|
|Producer(s)||Rob Cavallo, Goo Goo Dolls|
|Goo Goo Dolls singles chronology|
"Slide" is a song recorded by American alternative rock group The Goo Goo Dolls. It was released in September 1998 as the first commercial single release from their sixth studio album, Dizzy Up the Girl.
The song reached number one on the Billboard Adult Top 40 chart, the Modern Rock Tracks chart and the Mainstream Top 40 chart, and number eight on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in late 1998 and early 1999. The song also debuted at #1 on Canada's Singles chart, and stayed on the chart for 70 more weeks. The single was certified Gold by the RIAA on August 18, 2008.
In a 2002 performance on VH1 Storytellers, Rzeznik explained that the song refers to a teenage girl in a strict Catholic environment who has become pregnant. She and her boyfriend are debating as to the possibility of abortion or marriage.
When the band guest starred on an episode of Sesame Street the song was reworked into "Pride"; a song sung to Elmo that celebrated the tasks he accomplished in his life; the episode aired on January 31, 2000.
The music video was directed by Nancy Bardawil and partially filmed at the El Dorado Hotel on South Spring Street, Los Angeles.
In October 2012, "Slide" was ranked number 9 on Billboard's "Top 100 Pop Songs 1992-2012" chart, which also featured Goo Goo Dolls hits "Iris", which topped the chart at #1, and "Name" ranking at number 24. The Goo Goo Dolls are the only musicians to have three songs chart on the list, two breaking the top 10 and all three falling within the top 25. They are also the only musicians that have back to back singles ("Iris", 1998 and "Slide", 1999) featured on the list.
- "Slide" – 3:33
- "Acoustic #3" – 1:56
- "Nothing Can Change You" (Tommy Keene cover) – 3:14
- The song "Iris" was the first song from Dizzy Up the Girl to be played on the radio; however, there was no commercial release until after "Slide."
- "Top Singles – Volume 68, No. 4, October 19, 1998". RPM. Archived from the original on February 24, 2014. Retrieved 2010-06-20.
- "Top Singles – Volume 70, No. 15, February 21, 2000". RPM. Archived from the original on February 24, 2014. Retrieved 2010-06-20.
- Rzeznik: "...the song is actually about these two teenage kids, and the girlfriend gets pregnant and... they're trying to decide whether she should get an abortion, or they should get married or what should go on..." (VH1 Storytellers: The Goo Goo Dolls, directly before they perform Slide)
- "Australian-charts.com – Goo Goo Dolls – Slide". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Charts.nz – Goo Goo Dolls – Slide". Top 40 Singles.
- "Top Singles – Volume 70, No. 8, December 13, 1999". RPM. Archived from the original on September 21, 2011. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- "Billboard Top 100 – 1999". Retrieved 2010-08-28.