Sligo Borough (UK Parliament constituency)
|Former Borough constituency
for the House of Commons
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||Sligo County|
|Created from||Sligo Borough (Parl. Irl.)|
It was an original constituency represented in Parliament when the Union of Great Britain and Ireland took effect on 1 January 1801, and returned one Member of Parliament (MP), elected by the first past the post system of election.
Numerous elections were overturned on petition by the losing candidate; after the 1868 election was overturned, a Royal Commission examined the matter and reported that "at the last three elections of members to serve in Parliament for the Borough of Sligo, corrupt practices have extensively prevailed." Parliament therefore passed the Sligo and Cashel Disenfranchisement Act 1870 (33 & 34 Vict. c.38) which came into force on 1 August 1870. The act disfranchised Sligo Borough as well as Cashel, another Irish borough. The area of Sligo borough became part of the Sligo County constituency. In 1881 the county's MP, Thomas Sexton, introduced a private member's bill to re-enfranchise the borough, which was defeated on second reading.
Members of Parliament
- 1 Walker (like F. W. S. Craig in his compilations of election results for Great Britain) classifies Whig, Radical and similar candidates as Liberals from 1832. The name Liberal was gradually adopted as a description for the Whigs and politicians allied with them, before the formal creation of the Liberal Party shortly after the 1859 general election.
- The Parliaments of England by Henry Stooks Smith (1st edition published in three volumes 1844-50), 2nd edition edited (in one volume) by F.W.S. Craig (Political Reference Publications 1973)
- Parliamentary Election Results in Ireland, 1801-1922, edited by B.M. Walker (Royal Irish Academy 1978)
- British Electoral Facts 1832-1987, compiled and edited by F.W.S. Craig (Parliamentary Research Services, 5th edition, 1989)
- Commissioners for the purpose of making inquiry into the existence of corrupt practices at the last election for Sligo (1870). Report. Command papers. C.48. Dublin: Alex Thom. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 3)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Commission 1870, p.viii
- "Sligo and Cashel Disfranchisement Bill— [Bill 139.] Second Reading.". Hansard. 16 June 1870. HC Deb vol 202 cc309-15. Retrieved 23 December 2016.; "Sligo and Cashel Disfranchisement Bill.—(No. 167.) Second Reading.". Hansard. 7 July 1870. HL Deb vol 202 cc1596-1602. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- "Sligo Borough Re-Enfranchisement Bill.— [Bill 62.]; Second Reading.". Hansard. 23 March 1881. HC Deb vol 259 cc1782–5. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- Copy of a memorial forwarded to the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland for certain magistrates of the county ... impugning the conduct of Major Browne (government magistrate) during the late contest (Sligo) election. Sessional papers. HC 36, 1837-1838 46 551. 12 December 1837. Retrieved 23 December 2016.; Return of all reports of outrages to Inspector General of Police by Constabulary during late Elections for County and Borough of Sligo. Sessional papers. HC 166, 1837-1838 46 555. 27 February 1838. Retrieved 23 December 2016.;
- Select Committee of Privileges (21 July 1848). Sligo election petitions: petition of John Delaney: report with minutes of evidence. Sessional papers. HC 526, 1847-1848 14 367. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- Select Committee on the Sligo borough election petition (6 June 1853). Report. Sessional papers. HC 572, 1852-1853 18 595. Retrieved 23 December 2016.; Select Committee on the Sligo borough election petition (10 June 1853). Minutes of evidence, proceedings and index. Sessional papers. HC 600, 1852-1853 18 605, 713. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- Select Committee on Appointment of H. Stonor as Judge in Colony of Victoria, after being reported Guilty of Bribery at Election for Borough of Sligo (1 June 1854). Report, minutes of evidence and appendices. Sessional papers. HC 278, 1854 8 681. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- Trollope, Anthony (3 March 2016). Dentith, Simon, ed. Doctor Thorne. Foreword by Julian Fellowes (TV Tie-In ed.). OUP Oxford. p. 638, fn.156. ISBN 9780191088568. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- Select Committee on Sligo Borough Election Petition (22 May 1856). Report, minutes of evidence and proceedings. Sessional papers. HC 234, 1856 7 409. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- Select Committee on Sligo Borough Election Petition (23 July 1857). Report and proceedings. Sessional papers. HC 227, 1857 8 585. Retrieved 23 December 2016.; Select Committee on Sligo Borough Election Petition (3 August 1857). Minutes of evidence and proceedings. Sessional papers. HC 206, 1857 8 609. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- Minutes of evidence at Trial of Sligo Borough Election Petition. Sessional papers. HC 85, 1868-1869 49 933. 16 March 1869. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
|This article about a Historic Westminster constituency in Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|