|This article does not cite any references or sources. (September 2015)|
Slime is a German punk rock band, founded in 1979 and disbanded in 1994. The pre-Slime band was called Screamer, and the post-Slime band is – contrary to the occasional rumors – not Emils (Slime backwards), but Rubberslime, with the member Elf. In 2010, the band reformed to play some concerts for their 30th anniversary.
The band was founded by Michael "Elf" Mayer (guitar), Eddi Räther (bass) and Ball (Peter Wodok – drums). Some months later, Dirk "Dicken" Jora joined as vocalist. Christian Mevs joined the band in 1980 as second guitarist, and Ball left in 1981 and was replaced by Stephan Mahler. For the 2010 concerts Alex Schwers played bass guitar.
Notable songs are "Deutschland Muss Sterben (...Damit Wir Leben Können)" (Germany must die (... so we can live)) (an allusion to "Deutschland muß leben, auch wenn wir sterben müssen" (Germany must live, even if we have to die), the inscription on the Kriegerdenkmal in Hamburg-Dammtor which is a line of the Soldatenlied by the German poet Heinrich Lersch), "Bullenschweine" (literally cop swines), "Polizei SA/SS" (police SA/SS), comparing police to the SA and SS and "A.C.A.B." ("All Cops Are Bastards").
They sang song against war (e.g. "We Don't Need the Army"), and they made a punk anthem with the song "Hey Punk". They even produced songs against their government ("They Don't Give a Fuck"), their justice ("Gerechtigkeit" - means fairness), their police and their politicians ("Sand im Getriebe"). The song "Yankees Raus" (Yankees out) is against imperialism. The following years, neo-fascism in Germany was rising more and more, so they felt dutybound to sing against them.
The song "Der Tod Ist Ein Meister aus Deutschland" (Death is a master from Germany) was inspired by the poem Todesfuge (lit. "Death Fugue") by Paul Celan, who was a prisoner in different concentration camps during the Third reich.
- 1981: Slime I (no label, banned)
- 1982: Yankees raus (AGR)
- 1983: Alle gegen Alle (AGR)
- 1992: Viva la Muerte (AGR/Modern Music)
- 1994: Schweineherbst (Indigo)
- 2012: Sich fügen heißt lügen (People Like You/EMI)
Live and Compilations
- 1984: Live (AGR)
- 1990: Compilation 81–87 (Bitzcore)
- 1990: Die Letzten (AGR)
- 1995: Live Punk Club (Große Freiheit in Hamburg) (Slime)
- 1980: "Wir Wollen Keine Bullenschweine" (Moderne Musik)
- 1993: "Der Tod Ist Ein Meister aus Deutschland / Schweineherbst" (Weserlabel/ Indigo)
- 1993: "10 Kleine Nazischweine" (mit Heiter bis Wolkig) 2-Track-EP
- 2009: Alle gegen Alle - A Tribute to Slime (Toten Hosen, Rasta Knast, Dritte Wahl, etc.)
- 2004: Wenn der Himmel brennt