|Margaret Miles-Bramwell (Chairman)|
Number of employees
|250 (head office/field management), 3,500 (consultants)|
Slimming World's members have group support through shared experience with other slimmers to encourage behaviour change, called IMAGE Therapy. Slimming World's eating plan is based on the science of satiety (the satisfying qualities of food) and energy density.
Slimming World was founded in Derbyshire in 1969 by Margaret Miles-Bramwell, who remains its chairman. Caryl Richards has been managing director of the company since 2001.
The company began in 1969 with a handful of groups in Derbyshire and expanded into Yorkshire. By the 1980s, Slimming World had 700 classes in the UK and by 2012 there were over 10,000 groups, making it the largest slimming club in the UK and Ireland.
Slimming World's charity, 'SMILES', was launched in 1997. SMILES stands for "Slimmers Making It a Little Easier for Someone", and since 1997 it has raised more than £2,500,000 for charity.
Slimming World magazine was launched in 1998. In 2013 sales exceeded 447,000 per issue. Slimming World also publishes a range of recipe books and directories available to members in group.
In 2001, Slimming World pioneered 'Slimming World on Referral' in the UK, whereby GPs can 'prescribe' attendance of a group for 12 weeks. In 2011, a paper published in the journal Obesity Facts showed that patients attending at least 10 out of 12 sessions achieved a clinically significant weight loss of 5% of their body weight. Slimming World works with around 60 health authorities and, by April 2011, in excess of 100,000 people had used the scheme.
In its 2014 guidance, the United Kingdom's National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) lists the Slimming World programme alongside the Rosemary Conley and Weight Watchers programmes as being "effective at 12 to 18 months".
Slimming World encourages members to introduce physical activity into their daily lives through its 'Body Magic' programme. The emphasis is on introducing activity gently at first, such as getting off the bus a stop early a couple of times a week, or walking up two flights of steps instead of taking the lift occasionally, then on finding forms of activity which can be integrated into everyday life. Members achieve bronze, silver, gold and platinum 'Body Magic' awards. Platinum is achieved when members are routinely active/exercising five times a week for thirty minutes at a time. This is in line with Government activity guidelines. Slimming World has signed up to the Department of Health's Public Health Responsibility Deal and has pledged to encourage its members to build activity into their daily routine. Since 2011, Slimming World has supported more than 150,000 people to become more active.
Health and pregnancy
Slimming World works in partnership with the Royal College of Midwives and is the first national slimming organisation to support pregnant and breastfeeding mums to manage their weight healthily during pregnancy. It states that its pregnancy programme is designed to ensure that mums-to-be and breastfeeding mothers can continue to manage their weight, with the consent of their midwife. Slimming World's pregnancy policy was devised in collaboration with the Royal College of Midwives.
- Slimming World - About us
- J. Stubbs, S. Whybrow, J. Lavin (2010). "Dietary and lifestyle measures to enhance satiety and weight control". Nutrition Bulletin. Volume 35, issue 2. p113-125
- Durrani, A (February 2103), 'Magazine ABCs: The top 100 at a glance, for last six months of 2012', Media Week
- Lavin, J. et al (2006), Feasibility and benefits of implementing a Slimming on Referral service in primary care using a commercial weight management partner. Public Health. 2006 Sep;120(9):872-81
- Stubbs, J et al (2011). Weight Outcomes Audit for 34,271 Adults Referred to a Primary Care/Commercial Weight Management Partnership Scheme, Obesity Facts, 2011;4:113–120
- Slimming|Slimming World Health website - what is Slimming World on Referral?
- "Chapter 1: Recommendations", Managing overweight and obesity in adults – lifestyle weight management services, National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, 2014
- Inside Government - new activity guidelines (2011)
- Department of Health - Public Health responsibility Deal - Slimming World promotes the CMO’s physical activity guidelines
- Royal College of Midwives - Media Centre
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Slimming World.|