|Slingsby T.49 Capstan in 1966|
|National origin||United Kingdom|
|Manufacturer||Slingsby Sailplanes Ltd|
The Slingsby T.49 Capstan is a British two-seat glider of the 1960s built by Slingsby Sailplanes as a replacement for their earlier Type 42 Eagle. It is a high-winged monoplane of wooden construction, the last two-seat wooden glider built by Slingsby, intended for both training and general club flying. Side-by-side seats for the two pilots are accommodated in an enclosed cockpit with a one-piece perspex canopy. The prototype T.49A first flew in 1961, and it entered production as the T.49B in 1963. Thirty-four Capstans were built, one of which was fitted with an auxiliary engine with the designation T.49C Powered Capstan.
- Crew: 2
- Length: 25 ft 4 in (7.72 m)
- Wingspan: 55 ft 1 in (16.78 m)
- Wing area: 219.9 sq ft (20.43 m2)
- Aspect ratio: 13.75
- Airfoil: Root:NACA 633-620, Tip: NACA 6412
- Empty weight: 761 lb (345.4 kg)
- Gross weight: 1,250 lb (567 kg)
- Stall speed: 32 kn; 37 mph (60 km/h)
- Never exceed speed: 117 kn; 135 mph (217 km/h)
- Rough air speed max: 148 km/h (92.0 mph; 79.9 kn)
- Aerotow speed: 148 km/h (92.0 mph; 79.9 kn)
- Winch launch speed: 148 km/h (92.0 mph; 79.9 kn)
- g limits: +4, 0 at 241 km/h (149.8 mph; 130.1 kn)
- Maximum glide ratio: 30 at 76 km/h (47.2 mph; 41.0 kn)
- Rate of sink: 130 ft/min (0.66 m/s) at 70 km/h (43.5 mph; 37.8 kn)
- Wing loading: 5.7 lb/sq ft (27.7 kg/m2)
- "Slingsby Archived 3 February 2010 at the Wayback Machine", www.sailplanedirectory.com. Retrieved 21 March 2009.
- Taylor 1969, p.550.
- Shenstone, B.S.; K.G. Wilkinson (1963). The World's Sailplanes:Die Segelflugzeuge der Welt:Les Planeurs du Monde Volume II (in English, French, and German) (1st ed.). Zurich: Organisation Scientifique et Technique Internationale du Vol a Voile (OSTIV) and Schweizer Aero-Revue. pp. 34–36.
- "Two New Sailplanes". Flight International, 31 May 1962.pp. 867—869.
- Taylor, J.W.R (ed.) Jane's All The World's Aircraft 1969-70. London:Sampson Low, 1969.
- Slingsby Sailplanes Capstan T49 Handbook, 1963
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Slingsby T.49 Capstan.|