Slip Stitch and Pass
|Slip Stitch and Pass|
|Live album by Phish|
|Released||October 28, 1997 (US)|
|Recorded||March 1, 1997,
|Genre||Jam rock, prog rock, jazz-rock, neo-psychedelia, funk rock|
Slip Stitch and Pass is the second official live album by the American rock band Phish. It was released on October 28, 1997, by Elektra Records and has nine tracks from the band's March 1, 1997, show at the Markthalle Hamburg in Hamburg, Germany, which was part of Phish's 1997 European Tour.
In addition, during the final jam segment of "Mike's Song", the band quotes (or 'teases') Pink Floyd's "Careful with That Axe, Eugene" and elements and lyrics from The Doors song "The End". The close of "Weekapaug Groove" interpolates the end section of the Rolling Stone's "Can't You Hear Me Knocking".
The jam on "Wolfman's Brother" is indicative of the band's foray into funk music, which dominated the group's improvisation over the next several years. The song also includes a tease of the band's own instrumental tune "Dave’s Energy Guide."
Renowned graphic artist Storm Thorgerson designed the album cover.
- "Cities" (David Byrne) - 5:18
- "Wolfman's Brother" (Trey Anastasio, Jon Fishman, Mike Gordon, Tom Marshall, Page McConnell) - 13:50
- "Jesus Just Left Chicago" (Frank Beard, Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill) - 12:58
- "Weigh" (Gordon) - 5:29
- "Mike's Song" (Gordon) - 13:52
- "Lawn Boy" (Anastasio, Marshall) - 2:56
- "Weekapaug Groove" (Anastasio, Fishman, Gordon, McConnell) - 8:20
- "Hello My Baby" (Joseph E. Howard, Ida Emerson, Louis C. Singer) - 1:19
- "Taste" (Anastasio, Fishman, Gordon, Marshall, McConnell) - 8:44
|Set 1||Cities > The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony, Down with Disease, Weigh, Beauty of My Dreams, Wolfman's Brother -> Jesus Just Left Chicago, Reba, Hello My Baby, Possum|
|Set 2||Carini, Dinner and a Movie > Mike's Song -> Lawn Boy > Weekapaug Groove, The Mango Song > Billy Breathes, Theme From the Bottom|
|Encore||Taste, Sweet Adeline|
|Notes||The week-long trend of breaking out songs continued with the show-opening Cities, which was the first since July 5, 1994 (222 shows). Wolfman’s included a Dave’s Energy Guide tease. Reba did not have the whistling ending. Possum included an All Fall Down signal and a heavy metal-style intro. The jam out of Mike’s featured teases and vocal quotes of The End (The Doors), Peace Frog, and Careful with That Axe, Eugene; The End (The Doors) was subsequently quoted in Lawn Boy and Weekapaug. Weekapaug was unfinished and ended in a Can't You Hear Me Knocking jam.|
- Trey Anastasio – guitars, vocals
- Page McConnell – keyboards, vocals
- Mike Gordon – bass guitar, vocals
- Jon Fishman – drums, vocals