Sloan Great Wall
The Sloan Great Wall (SGW) is a cosmic structure formed by a giant wall of galaxies (a galaxy filament). Its discovery was announced from Princeton University on October 20, 2003, by J. Richard Gott III, Mario Jurić, and their colleagues, based on data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey.
The wall measures 1.38 billion light-years (×1025 m) in length, located approximately one billion light-years away. In the sky, it is located within the region of the 1.30constellations Corvus, Hydra and Centaurus. It is approximately 1/60 of the diameter of the observable universe, making it the sixth largest known object after the large quasar groups Clowes-Campusano LQG, U1.11, Huge-LQG, the Giant GRB Ring and the galaxy filament Hercules–Corona Borealis Great Wall (Her-CrB GW), respectively.
The Sloan Great Wall is between 1.8-2.7 times longer than the CfA2 Great Wall of galaxies (discovered by Margaret Geller and John Huchra of Harvard in 1989). It also contains several galactic superclusters, the largest and richest of which is named SCl 126. This is located in the highest density region of the structure.
In 2011, it was suggested that the SGW is a chance alignment of three structures, and not a structure in itself.
- List of largest cosmic structures
- Hercules-Corona Borealis Great Wall
- Giant Void
- CMB cold spot
- Large-scale structure of the universe
- BOSS Great Wall
- Gott, J. Richard, III; et al. (May 2005), "A Map of the Universe", The Astrophysical Journal, 624 (2): 463–484, arXiv: , Bibcode:2005ApJ...624..463G, doi:10.1086/428890 Figure 8 – "Logarithmic Maps of the Universe" – is available as a poster from the homepage of Mario Juric.
- Geller, Margaret J.; Huchra, John P. (1989-11-17), "Mapping the Universe", Science, 246 (4932): 897–903, Bibcode:1989Sci...246..897G, doi:10.1126/science.246.4932.897, PMID 17812575
- Einasto, M.; et al. (July 2011), "The Sloan Great Wall. Morphology and Galaxy Content", The Astrophysical Journal, 736 (1): 51, arXiv: , Bibcode:2011ApJ...736...51E, doi:10.1088/0004-637X/736/1/51
- "The Sloan Great Wall -- Supercluster of Galaxies", SIMBAD, Centre de Données astronomiques de Strasbourg, retrieved 2011-12-24
- Clowes, Roger G.; Campusano, Luis E.; Graham, Matthew J.; Soechting, Ilona K. "Two close Large Quasar Groups of size ~ 350 Mpc at z ~ 1.2". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. 419 (1): 556–565. arXiv: . Bibcode:2012MNRAS.419..556C. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2966.2011.19719.x.