|Origin||Boston, Massachusetts, United States|
|Genres||Alternative Rock, Garage Rock, Grunge|
|Labels||Dangerbird Records, Ba Da Bing! Records, Burger Records|
Slothrust (pronounced sloth-rust or slow-thrust) is an American alternative rock band from Boston, Massachusetts. The band is described as heavy and full of lyrical grit, and fusing elements of the 1990s with modern edge.
Slothrust consists of Leah Wellbaum (vocals, guitar), Kyle Bann (bass), and Will Gorin (drums). Wellbaum and Gorin first staked out their unique strain of jazz and blues afflicted rock as students at Sarah Lawrence College. After performing in various school groups, the two joined to create music with a "heavier" sound. In search for a bassist, Bann later joined the band.
The name Slothrust came together as a combination of Wellbaum's former project "Slothbox" and "rust" to signify time passing.
2012–2013: Feels Your Pain
2014–2015: Of Course You Do
On February 18, 2014, Slothrust released their sophomore album Of Course You Do through Ba Da Bing! Records.
2016–2017: Everyone Else
On July 7, 2016, it was revealed that Slothrust were signing to Dangerbird Records. Wellbaum stated, “We are so excited to be working with Dangerbird Records on this album. They are a label that cares about creative risks and creating a space for artists to grow and evolve. This record has been a long time coming and we are psyched to finally share it with the world.”
The band premiered several tracks that lead to the release of their third full-length album, Everyone Else. The first single, "Horseshoe Crab", premiered via Noisey on August 10, 2016, was explained as "a dark narrative about love, loss, growing up, depression, and existential anxiety". Slothrust later shared "Like A Child Hiding Behind You Tombstone", and "Horseshoe Crab".
Everyone Else debuted on October 28, 2016. The new record is described as less angry and closely relating to dreams and the water, "Of Course You Do, as well as the one before that, Feels Your Pain, are a bit angrier. When you write songs earlier in your life—depending on where you’re at—the likelihood of them being angsty is higher," Wellbaum explained to Out Magazine, "This record I don’t think is angry in the same way. It asks more questions...[Everyone Else] has space for interpretation and for questions. And the new record deals very specifically with water and dreams in a way that the first two did not."
Kicking off the release of Everyone Else, the band announced they a tour with rock band Highly Suspect in the fall of 2016. Additionally, the band celebrated the new album with a sold out headline show at Brooklyn's Rough Trade music store/venue on November 1st. The band performed Everyone Else in its entirety, including various fan favorites such as "7:30 AM", "Crockpot" and "Homewreck Wifey".
The band spent in majority of 2017 touring, including two US headline tour in March, July and August. The band also performed at Chicago's Lollapalooza. On August 3, 2017, it was announced that Slothrust will be touring the UK in the fall with Manchester Orchestra.
2018–present: The Pact
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Feels Your Pain||
|Of Course You Do||—||—|
|"—" denotes album that did not chart or was not released|
|Show Me How You Want It To Be||
|"In A Sexual Way"||
|"No Eye Candy"||
|"Milking the Snake"||
- "Slothrust — Free listening, videos, concerts, stats and photos at Last.fm". Last.fm. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "In De Goot". indegoot.com. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "Slothrust Descends on Eclectic". The Wesleyan Argus. Retrieved 2017-09-19.
- "Slothrust Descends on Eclectic". The Wesleyan Argus. Retrieved 2017-09-18.
- Wreckroom (2012-11-20), SLOTHRUST - Happy Together, retrieved 2017-09-19
- Dangerbird. "Dangerbird Records Slothrust Sign to Dangerbird Records & Announce Fall Tour with Highly Suspect". dangerbirdrecords.com. Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- "Quench Your Thirst for More Slothrust with Their New Video for "Horseshoe Crab"". Noisey. Retrieved 2017-09-18.
- "Slothrust's Leah Wellbaum Talks Moving Past the Angst, Announces Tour Dates (Exclusive)". 2017-01-06. Retrieved 2017-09-18.
- "Slothrust announces new album + tours with Highly Suspect in the fall". The Deli Magazine | nyc.thedelimagazine.com/. Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- "Slothrust – Tickets – Rough Trade NYC – Brooklyn, NY – November 1st, 2016". The Bowery Ballroom. Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- "Slothrust to join Manchester Orchestra on UK dates". Punktastic. Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- "Slothrust point to the future on 'Milking The Snake'". DIY. Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- "Slothrust's New Album The Pact Out Now". Dangerbird Records. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- "Slothrust announce North American fall tour, share new video for 'Double Down'". AXS. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- "Slothrust - Billboard Heatseekers". Billboard. Billboard-Hollywood Reporter Media Group. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- "Slothrust - Billboard Independent". Billboard. Billboard-Hollywood Reporter Media Group. Retrieved 25 September 2018.