Slovalco

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Slovalco
Private company
Industryaluminium
Founded1993
HeadquartersŽiar nad Hronom, Slovakia
Key people
Milan Veselý, CEO
Productsaluminium products, aluminium alloys
RevenueGreen Arrow Up.svg US$426 million (2006)
Number of employees
490 (2014)
Websitehttp://www.slovalco.sk

Slovalco is a large Slovak company that produces 160,000 tonnes of aluminium and aluminium products per annum.

History[edit]

  • December 1985 - approval of project by the CSSR's government in Prague ;
  • March 1986 - know - how contract signed with Hydro Aluminium and start of construction ;
  • 1987 - carbon plant is finished
  • 1989 - potroom is finished
  • 1989 - last year of financing from state centralized sources
  • 1992 - construction ceases (65% of project complete)
  • April 1993 - negotiation with EBRD
  • 7 June 1993 - Slovalco is founded
  • July 1994 - Slovalco signs a sovereign guaranteed loan agreement with EBRD
  • October 1994 - EBRD and Hydro Aluminium become shareholders
  • June–December 1995 - the first 172 cells put into operation
  • 1996 - full operation of electrolysis - 112,000 tons produced
  • August 2003 - 54 additional reduction cells put into operation - 226 cells in operation
  • June 2004 - the millionth tonne of aluminium produced

Ownership[edit]

Slovalco is owned 44.7% by a Slovak company called ZSNP while the remaining 55.3% is owned by Norwegian company Hydro Aluminium part of Norsk Hydro based in Oslo, Norway.

Gallery[edit]

Slovalco aerial.jpg

External links[edit]

Coordinates: 48°33′47″N 18°50′51″E / 48.56306°N 18.84750°E / 48.56306; 18.84750