|Single by Foghat|
|from the album Fool for the City|
|Recorded||Suntreader Studios, Sharon, Vermont|
|Length||8:14 (LP version)
3:56 (single version)
|Foghat singles chronology|
"Slow Ride" is a song by the English rock band Foghat. It was the lead single from their fifth studio album, Fool for the City (1975), released on Bearsville Records. In 2009, it was named the 45th "Best Hard Rock" song of all time by VH1.
There are 5 versions of this song on the market. The original LP version from Fool For the City lasts 8 minutes and 14 seconds. The single version, found in several compilations was truncated to 3:56 with a fade-out ending. The 1977 live version is 8:21, the King Biscuit Flower Hour Foghat version is 10:37 and the 2007 live version is 9:44.
|“||Nick had a cassette player and he would record whatever we played there. As I recall it, the whole song was written— the middle part and the bass part and the ending were all Nick's ideas. Basically, Nick wrote the song, but we just jammed on it, and Nick cut the stuff up so it made sense as far as the song goes. And then Dave [Peverett, the band's then guitarist and vocalist] said, 'I've got some words.' That's how that came about (laughs).||”|
- The song was featured in the 1978 film FM.
- The song is featured in Richard Linklater's 1993 film Dazed and Confused.
- The song also appears on the fictional radio station K-DST in the video game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
- It also appears in Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock and is the first song in the campaign.
- Elaine Benes dances to the song in the 1997 Seinfeld episode "The Slicer".
- Alvin and the Chipmunks covered the song as a bonus track for their 2007 video game of the same name.
- In 2004, the song was used by the fast-food chain Carl's Jr./Hardee's in a commercial starring model Cameron Richardson.
- It was used in the season 6 recap of Supernatural at the beginning of season 7.
- The song was featured in a short scene Family Guy's 2005 episode "Model Misbehavior" where the evil monkey rolled a joint whilst listening to the song on headphones.
- It was also used in the Showtime TV series "Dexter", in an episode in the first season, in 2006.
- Jennifer Carpenter's and Christian Camargo's characters--Debra Morgan and Rudy Cooper--dance to it while at Dexter's deceased biological father's house, helping Dexter prepare the house to sell it.
- Detective Dan Stark (played by Bradley Whitford) uses Slow Ride as his the cell phone ringtone in an episode of The Good Guys (2010) TV Series.
- On Mike & Molly in the episode "Checkpoint Joyce", Joyce (portrayed by Swoosie Kurtz) yelled the lyrics to Slow Ride, drunk.
- his was also on Bates Motel.
- It was also used in a 2006 commercial for the Honda Odyssey van.
- The song was used in a episode of Newsradio when the Jimmy James character was in a coma.
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||14|
|US Billboard Hot 100||20|
- "spreadit.org music". Retrieved 7 February 2009.
- Perry, Shawn. "The Roger Earl Interview". Vintage Rock. Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- "/guitar hero 3 setlist revealed". Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "RPM Top Singles" (PDF). RPM (Ottawa: Library and Archives Canada) 24 (25). 20 March 1976. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
- "Foghat – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Foghat. Retrieved 29 August 2015.