Slugterra Show Title Logo
|Created by||Asaph Fipke|
|Developed by||Asaph Fipke|
|Written by||Asaph Fipke|
|Directed by||Johnny Darrell|
|Voices of||Sam Vincent|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||53 (5 movies & 48 episodes) (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Asaph Fipke|
|Production location(s)||British Columbia, Canada|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Nerd Corps Entertainment|
|Original network||Disney XD Canada/Family Chargd|
|Original release||September 3, 2012 –|
October 25, 2016
Slugterra is a Canadian animated television series created by Asaph Fipke. The series was produced by the Canadian animation studio Nerd Corps Entertainment, a subsidiary of DHX Media. It premiered on Family Chrgd (formerly Disney XD (Canada)) on September 3, 2012 and began broadcasts in the United States the following month.
Since the series' debut, three seasons were broadcast with exactly 13 episodes each, followed by several specials and movies. In September 2014, a fourth season with 13 episodes was announced which includes a fourth movie, Eastern Caverns, which had a theatrical release during August 2015 in Canada and later began airing on TV in Canada as four separate episodes starting January 17, 2016. Season 4 aired from January to April 2016. A fifth movie, Into the Shadows, was released theatrically in August 2016 in Canada, and later began airing on TV in Canada as four separate episodes in October 2016. Since then, there haven't been any upcoming episodes or specials announced; at this point, it is unclear if the series is on hiatus or cancelled.
Several products tied to the series have been released, including action figures and video games.
Eli Shane is a 15 year old determined to be the greatest slug-slinging hero of Slugterra after his dad. He can do this only by collecting, training, and dueling little creatures called slugs. Before he came to Slugterra, he had only one slug, a famous slug named Burpy. When first in Slugterra, he befriends a Molenoid named Pronto. Next he finds Trixie, a girl who saves him from a rogue slug-slinger. Then he meets a Cave Troll named Kord. With the help of Pronto he enters a tournament in which he trains and receives more slugs. He gets ready and then tries to stop the nefarious Dr. Thaddius Blakk and his ghoul slugs.
Slug is a common name for an apparently shell-less creature which lives in Slugterra. They have special powers according to their elements, which are: Fire, Water, Air, Earth and Energy. These are the basic elements. The secondary elements are Metal, Toxic, Ice, Plant, Shadow and Psychic. There are 5 Elemental Slugs which were first of their kind. They are the progenitors of all other slugs, so if one were to be corrupted, all the slugs of its lineage would suffer the same effects. So in effect, if the Air Elemental were to be Ghouled, all other air slugs will become ghouls, such as Hoverbug, Flatulorhinkus, Gazzer, Tormato and Slyren.
When these slugs are fired with the help of Blasters, they reach a velocity of one hundred miles per hour and transform into a stronger form called Velocimorph which can be highly destructive. Once they are fired, they can only be re-used if their Slingers are fast in picking them up and reloading. Otherwise, they will return to the slinger's hideout if they are friendly to them. All Slug-Slingers have to expand their arsenal so they may use certain techniques such as communicating and using special slug collecting devices.
Slugs need be fed regularly so that they remain healthy, and baby slugs need extra special care to help them mature. If experienced enough, slugs can evolve into an even stronger form called a Mega Morph. To Mega Morph a slug needs to be shot at two hundred miles per hour, but the slug has to be ready to handle the extra speed and power. If a slug is not experienced enough, it will get thrown off by the speed and the Mega Morph will fail. By equipping a blaster with an accelerator, the slinger can help a slug Mega Morph more easily. Slugs are kept in special cylinder-shaped cases called slug shells.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2018)
Blasters are part of the Slugslinger's basic gear needed for slinging slugs. Blasters are used to shoot Slugs with enough force for them to reach velocity and transform. Blasters can be customized with accessories to enhance the blaster's or the slinger's performance, although most slingers stick with the basic components of their chosen model and let the Slugs do the work. Blasters can be temporarily disabled, permanently damaged or destroyed by slug attacks, misfire or improper blaster modifications. Even without a blaster, it is still possible for the slug to reach velocity using historical methods such as catapults or slingshots.
The Fusion shot is when two slugs that have the same aura perform attack and skills which significantly stronger than a single shot.
- Shadowray: "Albino Boon Doc"+"Negashade" – Creates a sonic beam fused with the "Light" & "Shadow" representing "Yin & Yang". Used by the Unbeatable Master to defeat Twist disguised as Dr. Blakk.
- NovaBolt: "Infurnus"+"Tazerling" – Forms an ionized plasma blast engulfed in flames. Eli Shane used the master's blaster to defeat Dr. Blakk before he left after defeating the Unbeatable Master, and also to destroy a pill box on the beach of an island taken over by Dr. Blakk and the Darkbane.
- MagmaBlade: "Thresher"+"Forgesmelter" – Forms a super-heated spinning saw-blade that spews lava from its sides, able to melt solid metal like butter, and leave it in a liquid form. Used to destroy the Blakk Steel Train at Lumino cavern.
- BoulderStorm: "Rammstone"+"Tormato" – (Possible Defective Combo) Rammstone launches Tormato at multiple opponents as the Tormato creates a rampaging cyclone filled with boulders. It seemed to work, but it could backfire in close or medium range. Suitable to destroy multiple opponents from long range. Used unsuccessfully to defeat Mr. Saturday's Zombie guards from Stalagmite 17.
- NitroBubble: "Infurnus"+"Bubbaleone" – Forms a flaming bubble that can be used for emergency transport. The attack functions like a high speed hot air balloon which can go in any direction. Used to make a quick exit after the Shane Gang escaped from Stalagmite 17.
- InfernoSlam: "Infurnus"+"Rammstone" – Once launched, the Slugs will spin around each other, leading to a Rammstone with blazing horns. Used to destroy the containment tube the Game Master used to collect the slugs used by his contestants out at Lands End Cavern.
- ElectroSpear: "Tazerling"+"Dirt Urchin" – Once the Slug starts spinning, electrified needles are then shot out. Used to defeat the first Lightwell guardian.
- Supernova: "Infurnus"+"Phosphoro" – The Slugs spin, while the Phosphoro starts lighting up, the Infurnus boosts the light. Used to defeat the High Plains Monster, which was actually a flying eel from the Deep Caverns.
- MagmaStrike: "Infurnus"+"Armashelt" – The Slugs launch a huge flaming boulder, which is capable of temporary stopping Dr. Blakk's Titan tanks.
- RockArmour: "Rammstone"+"Hop Rock" – The Rammstone will increase in size, and get plated in Hop Rock armour. Used unsuccessfully to defeat a Megamorph Grimmstone Ghoul shot by El Diablos Nacho.
- SawBolo: "Polero"+"Thresher" – Become two threshers joined together and begins to turn. Used to delay Blakk just long enough for Eli Shane to reacquire his accelerator.
- SuperCure: "Boon Doc"+"Fandango" – The Boon Doc spins with the Fandango to create an orb of pure Slug Energy. Used to Restore Master Lian of the Eastern Caverns.
- RockBomb: "Rammstone"+"Grenuke" – The Rammstone and Grenuke spin around and create a crater in the ground after falling out of the sky. Used to make some cover when the Shane Gang was facing off against Boss Ember's crew at Dr. Blakk's old Citadel.
- InfernoSplash: "Infurnus"+"AquaBeek" – Creates a splashing pulse wave that tires out all protoform slugs. Has no effect on Ghouls.
Mecha Beasts are robotic creatures used as a common form of transportation. They are powered by Slug-energy. Mecha-Beasts come in all shapes and sizes, but the most commonly seen beasts resemble bulls, horses, moles, and elephants. Some unique beasts were custom-made to look like snakes and the HooliGang had their Mechas made to resemble hyenas. It has been seen that Mechas can be modified to deploy a large amount of weaponry, like Sedo's Mole Mecha.
Most, but not all, Mecha Beasts are made at the Mecha-Beast Forge. They are powered by special hearts. These hearts are infused with Slug-energy via molecular transfusion. The abilities and qualities of a Mecha beast vary from Mecha to Mecha. They can be upgraded with mods just like blasters in order to fit various situations.
Mecha Beasts are infused with Slug-energy, which unfortunately means that they can by Ghouled by applying Dark Water to their cores. A Ghouled Mecha will start to behave erratically and its eyes will glow red. It will eventually stop obeying orders, turn on its rider, and then explode. It can be cured by healing Slugs.
Mecha Beasts, just like blasters, can be upgraded. Installing Rocket boosters can increase the speed of your Mecha in Beast Mode. This can also help you jump across large gaps, chasms and assist you in acquiring those fast, hard to catch Slugs. With this next installation, you can use your Mecha Beast as a Jet Ski. Just press the yellow button and you can cruise across the water of the Flumes and the seas of Undertow Cavern. The third upgrade involves you pulling a red lever and two wings will extend from your Mecha. This Glider Mode is very useful for a safe and slow descent from a high and fast fall. But the ultimate upgrade to Mecha Beasts in the last 300 years is the Transforming Mecha. In Vehicle Mode, The Mecha can go super fast, in excess of speeds of 100 Miles per Hour. This can help an Experienced Slug to Mega Morph more easily if your blaster is not equipped with an accelerator.
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired (Canadian dates)||USA dates|
|First air date||Last air date||First air date||Last air date|
|1||14||September 3, 2012||November 3, 2012||October 15, 2012||November 1, 2012|
|2||11||February 2, 2013||March 27, 2013||February 11, 2013||April 3, 2013|
|3||14||June 15, 2013||October 19, 2013||June 1, 2013||October 15, 2013|
|4 (Movie Season)||4||March 30, 2014||August 15, 2015||August 20, 2014||August 29, 2015|
|5||13||January 17, 2016||April 26, 2016||October 4, 2016||TBA|
|6 (Movie Season)||4||October 4, 2016||TBA||October 25, 2016||TBA|
Shout! Factory announced they would be releasing Slugterra: Return Of The Shane Gang, the first DVD collection of the show, on February 12, 2013. The second collection, Slugterra: Slugs Unleashed, was released on June 18, 2013, with Slugterra: Slug Power! following on September 17. In the UK Platform Entertainment Ltd. released episodes on DVD.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 30, 2013. Retrieved April 4, 2013.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)