Slush Puppie is a slush beverage created in 1974, and marketed both directly by the Slush Puppie division of J & J Snack Foods, and through its Slush Puppie Distributors in the U.S. A Slush Puppie has two major components; the base and the flavoring. The base is made from a special syrup that is mixed with water and then frozen. This creates a mixture resulting in pellets of ice in a sweet liquid. The taste is simply that of the flavored syrup.
The original owners, Will Radcliff (1939 – 2014), his sister, Phyllis, and their mother, Thelma, came up with the name "Slush Puppie" while sitting on their front porch in Cincinnati, Ohio. The business started from a home address in Cincinnati and progressed to a single door small warehouse, to a manufacturing plant/warehouse, to a candy and tobacco distributor, to finally a showplace building that overlooks the city of Cincinnati.
Under Radcliff, Slush Puppie grew to $25 million in annual sales. Radcliff sold Slush Puppie to Cadbury Schweppes for $16.6 million in 2000. Slush Puppie was then acquired by J & J Snack Foods, a food manufacturer based in New Jersey, on May 30, 2006.
- Sewell, Dan (2014-09-23). "Will Radcliff: Businessman who made a fortune taking Slush Puppies from the US to shops round the world". The Independent. Retrieved 2014-10-13.
- "With marketing, new flavors, Slush Puppies do hot business", Associated Press in The Vindicator, January 26, 1998.
- Vitello, Paul (2014-09-22). "Will Radcliff, 74, Creator of the Slush Puppie, Dies". New York Times. Retrieved 2014-10-13.
- "Cadbury Buys Slush Puppie", BBC News, 21 December 2000.
- "J & J Snack Foods acquires Slush Puppie". Food Business News. May 30, 2006.
- "Drink Mogul Soaks Up Rural Life ; A Conservation Deal Lets Will Radcliff Of Slush Puppie Fame Stay On His Beloved Fly'n R Ranch." Orlando Sentinel, December 6, 2004 (pay wall).
- Official U.S. site
- Official UK site
- Official Canadian site
- Official Australian site
- Official site The Netherlands
- Official Swiss site
- Official French site (France)