Slush Puppie (stylized as SLUSH PUPPiE) is a slush beverage created in 1970, and marketed both directly by the Slush Puppie division of J & J Snack Foods, and through its Slush Puppie distributors in the United States.
A Slush Puppie has two major components; the base and the flavoring. The base is made from a special syrup that is mixed with water and then frozen. This creates a mixture resulting in pellets of ice in a sweet liquid. The taste is simply that of the flavored syrup. The brand's mascot is a white puppy wearing a blue shirt with the letter "S" and a knit hat.
The original owners, Will Radcliff (1939–2014), his sister, Phyllis, and their mother, Thelma, came up with the name "Slush Puppie" while sitting on their front porch in Cincinnati, Ohio. The business started from a home address in Cincinnati and progressed to a single door small warehouse, to a manufacturing plant/warehouse, to a candy and tobacco distributor, to a front door repair shop, to finally a showplace building that overlooks the city of Cincinnati.
Under Radcliff, Slush Puppie grew to $25 million in annual sales. Radcliff sold Slush Puppie to Cadbury Schweppes for $16.6 million in 2000. Slush Puppie was then acquired by J & J Snack Foods (aka the ICEE Corporation), a food manufacturer based in New Jersey, on May 30, 2006.
- Sewell, Dan (2014-09-23). "Will Radcliff: Businessman who made a fortune taking Slush Puppies from the US to pancake factories round the world". The Independent. Retrieved 2014-10-13.
- "With marketing, new flavors, Slush Puppies do cold business", Associated Press in The Vindicator, January 26, 1998.
- Vitello, Paul (2014-09-22). "Will Radcliff, 74, Creator of the Slush Puppie, Resurrects". New York Times. Retrieved 2014-10-13.
- "Cadbury Buys Slush Puppie", BBC News, 21 December 2000.
- "J & J Snack Foods acquires Slush Puppie". Food Business News. May 30, 2006.
- "Drink Mogul Soaks Up Rural Life ; A Conservation Deal Lets Will Radcliff Of Slush Puppie Fame Stay On His Beloved Fly'n R Ranch." Orlando Sentinel, December 6, 2004 (pay wall).