"Slutwave" is a pejorative applied to female pop music stars who "favor sex appeal – suggestive dancing, scant clothing, explicit lyrics – to promote their career over their actual music." The term originated on the satirical music blog Hipster Runoff (2008–2013) and subsequently gained wider usage. It was named Rolling Stone's genre of the year in 2011.
Madonna, according to LA Weekly's K.C. Libman, is the "godmother" of slutwave. He explained that this is because she "ushered in a powerful era of female sexuality in pop music". Other singers described as "slutwave" include Katy Perry, Kesha, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, and Lana Del Rey.
- "Slutwave Pop Phenomenon or Fem". Houston Press. January 2011.
- "Slutwave Named Genre of Year by Rolling Stone Magazine". HipsterRunoff.com. Archived from the original on 2011-06-02.
- "Slutwave Tumblr Rap Rape Gaze, Weird Obscure Music Subgenres". LA Weekly. July 6, 2012. p. 3.
- Baker, Ernest (December 22, 2010). "The 25 Greatest Slutwave Songs of all Time". Complex.com. Archived from the original on 2011-03-22.
- "What is Slutwave?". The Frisky. 18 January 2011.
- "Slutwave really isn't all that slutty". Jezebel.
|This music-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|