Small Change (film)
|Directed by||François Truffaut|
|Produced by||Marcel Berbert|
|Written by||François Truffaut,
|Music by||Maurice Jaubert|
|Edited by||Yann Dedet
Les Films du Carrosse
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|March 17, 1976|
|Box office||2,071,0404 admissions (France)|
Small Change (French: L'Argent de poche) is a 1976 French film directed by François Truffaut. The title translates to "Pocket Money" from French, but since there was a Paul Newman movie called Pocket Money, Steven Spielberg suggested the title Small Change for US release. In English-speaking countries outside North America the film is known as "Pocket Money". The film had a total of 1,810,280 admissions in France, making it one of Truffaut's most successful films.
||This section is written like a personal reflection or opinion essay that states a Wikipedia editor's personal feelings about a topic. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Small Change is a comedy with a serious message, based around the daily lives of young children in Thiers, France. Scenes include a baby and a cat perilously playing on an open windowsill, a girl causing confusion with a bullhorn, a double date at the movie theater, a kid telling a dirty joke, a botched haircut, as well as many scenes about school life. Yet throughout this the difficulties and responsibilities faced by children appear, including the ongoing story of a boy's experience of an abusive home. Truffaut gives a message of resilience in the face of injustice, vocalized through one of the teachers. The story ends with a message of hope, the school closing for the summer vacation, and one of the key characters finding his first love at a summer camp.
Most of the characters were not professional actors.
- Philippe Goldmann - Julien
- Bruno Staab - Bruno
- Geory Desmouceaux - Patrick
- Laurent Devlaeminck - Laurent
- Sylvie Grezel - Sylvie
- Pascale Bruchon - Martine
- Claudio Deluca - Mathieu
- Franck Deluca - Frank
- Sebastien Marc - Oscar
- Richard Golfier - Richard
- Nicole Félix - Grégory's mother (as Nicole Felix)
- Chantal Mercier - Chantal Petit, the Schoolteacher
- Jean-François Stévenin - Jean-François Richet, the Schoolteacher
- Virginie Thévenet - Lydie Richet
- Tania Torrens - Nadine Riffle, hairdresser
- René Barnerias - Monsieur Desmouceaux, Patrick's father
- Katy Carayon - Sylvie's Mother
- Jean-Marie Carayon - Police inspector, Sylvie's father
- Annie Chevaldonne - Nurse
- Francis Devlaeminck - Monsieur Riffle, hairdresser, Laurent's father
- Michel Dissart - Monsieur Lomay, constable
- Michele Heyraud - Madame Deluca
- Paul Heyraud - Monsieur Deluca
- Jeanne Lobre - Julien's grandmother (as Jane Lobre)
- Vincent Touly - Concierge
When released, Small Change amassed critical acclaim. It was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Foreign Film. Vincent Canby of the New York Times called Small Change, "an original, a major work in minor keys" and Pauline Kael described it as, "that rarity, a poetic comedy that's really funny." Roger Ebert named it his favorite of the year, calling it a "magical film" and singled out the windowsill scene as "Truffaut at his best." Leonard Maltin gave the movie four stars (out of four) and called it "wise, witty and perceptive." The film was also entered into the 26th Berlin International Film Festival.
- Box Office information for Francois Truffaut films at Box Office Story
- Toubiana, Serge. "Steven Spielberg : la master class". arte.tv. Retrieved 15 January 2012.
- Allen, Don. Finally Truffaut. New York: Beaufort Books. 1985. ISBN 0-8253-0335-4. OCLC 12613514. pp. 235-236.
- New York Times review
- Amazon.com review
- Roger Ebert's review
- Leonard Maltin's 2006 Movie Guide, Signet: New York
- Awards for Small Change at the Internet Movie Database