|Small Tactical Munition|
|Place of origin||United States|
|Weight||13 pounds (5.9 kg)|
|Length||55 centimetres (22 in)|
|Dual-mode seeker: semi-active laser guidance plus GPS-INS|
It weighs 13 pounds (5.9 kg), and originally had a 7 lb (3.2 kg) warhead. On April 18, 2011, Raytheon successfully tested a new 5 lb (2.3 kg) warhead for the weapon. Though lighter, the new warhead has a significantly improved blast-fragment capability. Designed for low collateral damage, its lethal radius is only 15 ft (4.6 m), with non-lethal effects extending further but lethality dropping dramatically.
In July 2012, Raytheon claimed the STM could be "months" away from fielding. In early August 2012, Raytheon renamed the munition Pyros and completed the first end-to-end test of the bomb. The test validated the weapon's guidance modes, height-of-burst sensor, electronic safe and arm device, and multi-effects warhead.
On 18 July 2014, Raytheon conducted the first live-fire test of the Pyros. The munition targeted a simulated group of insurgents planting a roadside bomb and used its height-of-burst sensor to detonate several feet above the ground. Dropped from an altitude of 10,000 feet (3,000 m), the Pyros takes 35–40 seconds to reach the ground.
- "STM / Small Tactical Munition". Retrieved 2010-12-19.
- "Raytheon tests Small Tactical Munition for UAV’s". Frontier India Defense News. Retrieved 2010-12-19.
- "AUVSI: Raytheon designing UAV-specific weapons". Retrieved 2010-12-19.
- "USMC seeks to arm Shadow, fast and without US Army help". Retrieved 2010-12-19.
- "Raytheon Company: AUSA 2010: Griffin and Small Tactical Munition". Retrieved 2010-12-19.
- New Warhead Reduces Size of Small Tactical Munition - Deagel.com, April 19, 2011
- Raytheon's New Collateral Damage Minimizing Munition - Forbes.com, 10 August 2012
- Tiny 2-Foot Missile Could Be ‘Months’ Away From Drone War - Wired.com, July 13, 2012
- AUVSI: Raytheon completes end-to-end testing of Pyros bomb - Flightglobal.com, August 7, 2012
- Raytheon Small Tactical Munition Scores Direct Hit In First Guided Flight Test - Reuters.com, August 7, 2012
- Tiny Guided Bomb Scores a Direct Hit on Arizona Test Range - Raytheon news release, 21 August 2014
- Raytheon promotes Pyros for Middle East UAV operators - Flightglobal.com, 17 November 2013
- Pyros - Raytheon.com