Small Town USA
|"Small Town USA"|
|Single by Justin Moore|
|from the album Justin Moore|
|Released||February 10, 2009|
|Label||Valory Music Group|
|Justin Moore singles chronology|
"Small Town USA" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music singer Justin Moore. It was released in February 2009 as the second single of his career and the second one from his self-titled debut album. On the charts dated for October 3, 2009, the song became Moore’s first Number One hit. In addition, the song fared well as a crossover hit. Just missing the Top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100, it peaked at number 44.
Co-written by Moore with Brian Maher and Jeremy Stover, the song is a mid-tempo backed primarily by acoustic guitar and electric guitar, with piano flourishes. In it, the narrator lists off the various things in his hometown, and says that he proud of his roots. According to Moore, "Small Town USA" was the "first or second" song he wrote upon moving to Nashville, TN. The song was inspired by his feeling homesick for Poyen, Arkansas.
Dan Milliken of Country Universe gave the song a D+ grade, saying that it was "written solely to appeal to a demographic of people who also live in small towns and can relate to surface-level ideas […] Without further development, the ideas just sound really, really clichéd." Karlie Justus of Engine 145 gave it a "thumbs down" review, criticizing the lyrics for lacking details that were specific to a rural lifestyle. Justus also said that the song "finds Moore a much stronger singer than a songwriter," comparing his vocals to those of Jason Aldean and Ronnie Dunn, and saying that his delivery has a “sense of authenticity.”
A music video was filmed for the song in February 2009, and aired on CMT Pure Country and GAC that same month. Directed by Chris Hicky, it portrays Moore singing and playing guitar in various parts of his hometown of Poyen, Arkansas. The promo features several generations of Moore's family.
"Small Town USA" debuted at number 55 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the chart week of February 21, 2009. The song then entered the Top 40 of the country charts in its eleventh chart week for the chart week of May 2, 2009. It has since become Moore's first Number One hit.
|US Billboard Hot 100||44|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||11|
"Big Green Tractor"
by Jason Aldean
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
October 3, 2009
by Toby Keith
- "Self titled album of Justin Moore". Justinmooremusic. Archived from the original on 2014-03-17. Retrieved 2008-03-16.
- Josh Armstrong (September 29, 2009). "Justin Moore revisits "Small Town USA"". KnowTheArtist.com. Archived from the original on August 2, 2011. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
- Milliken, Dan. "Justin Moore - "Small Town USA" Review". Country Universe.
- Justus, Karlie (2009-02-04). "Justin Moore - "Small Town USA"". Engine 145. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- "Hot Country Songs - "Small Town USA"". Billboard. 2009-02-21. Retrieved 2009-06-20.[dead link]
- "Hot Country Songs - "Small Town USA"". Billboard. 2009-05-02. Archived from the original on July 9, 2014. Retrieved 2009-06-20.
- "Justin Moore Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved January 31, 2011.
- "Justin Moore Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved January 31, 2011.
- "Best of 2009: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2009.