Small nucleolar RNA SNORD42
|Small nucleolar RNA SNORD42|
|RNA type||Gene; snRNA; snoRNA; CD-box|
snoRNA U42 (also known as SNORD42) is a non-coding RNA (ncRNA) molecule which functions in the modification of other small nuclear RNAs (snRNAs). This type of modifying RNA is usually located in the nucleolus of the eukaryotic cell which is a major site of snRNA biogenesis. It is known as a small nucleolar RNA (snoRNA) and also often referred to as a guide RNA.
snoRNA U42 belongs to the C/D box class of snoRNAs which contain the conserved sequence motifs known as the C box (UGAUGA) and the D box (CUGA). Most of the members of the box C/D family function in directing site-specific 2'-O-methylation of substrate RNAs.
In the human genome there are two closely related copies of U42 (called U42A and U42B) both located within the introns of the ribosomal protein L23a (RPL23a) gene. Both snoRNAs are predicted to guide the site specific 2'O-ribose methylation of 18S ribosomal RNA (rRNA) residue U116. The mouse orthologue (MBII-287) has also been identified.
- Galardi, S.; Fatica, A.; Bachi, A.; Scaloni, A.; Presutti, C.; Bozzoni, I. (October 2002). "Purified Box C/D snoRNPs Are Able to Reproduce Site-Specific 2'-O-Methylation of Target RNA in Vitro". Molecular and Cellular Biology. 22 (19): 6663–6668. PMC . PMID 12215523. doi:10.1128/MCB.22.19.6663-6668.2002.
- Kiss, Tamás (2002). "Small Nucleolar RNAs". Cell. 109 (2): 145–148. PMID 12007400. doi:10.1016/S0092-8674(02)00718-3.
- Lestrade, Laurent; Weber, Michel J. (2006). "snoRNA-LBME-db, a comprehensive database of human H/ACA and C/D box snoRNAs". Nucleic Acids Research. 34 (Supplement 1: Database Issue): D158–D162. CiteSeerX . PMC . PMID 16381836. doi:10.1093/nar/gkj002.
- Huttenhofer, Alexander; Kiefmann, Martin; Meier-Ewert, Sebastian; O'Brien, John; Lehrach, Hans; Bachellerie, Jean-Pierre; Brosius, Jürgen (1 June 2001). "RNomics: an experimental approach that identifies 201 candidates for novel, small, non-messenger RNAs in mouse". The EMBO Journal. 20 (11): 2943–2953. PMC . PMID 11387227. doi:10.1093/emboj/20.11.2943.
- Page for Small nucleolar RNA SNORD42 at Rfam
- Entry for SNORD42A at snoRNABase
- Entry for SNORD42B at snoRNABase
|This molecular or cell biology article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|