Small nucleolar RNA SNORD49
|Small nucleolar RNA SNORD49|
|RNA type||Gene; snRNA; snoRNA; C/D-box|
snoRNA U49 (also known as SNORD49) is a non-coding RNA (ncRNA) molecule which functions in the modification of other small nuclear RNAs (snRNAs). This type of modifying RNA is usually located in the nucleolus of the eukaryotic cell which is a major site of snRNA biogenesis. It is known as a small nucleolar RNA (snoRNA) and also often referred to as a guide RNA.
snoRNA U49 belongs to the C/D box class of snoRNAs which contain the conserved sequence motifs known as the C box (UGAUGA) and the D box (CUGA). Most of the members of the box C/D family function in directing site-specific 2'-O-methylation of substrate RNAs.
U49 was identified by cloning from HeLa cells and is predicted to guide the 2'O-ribose methylation of 28S ribosomal RNA (rRNA) residue C4426. In the human genome there are two related copies of U45 (called U45A and U45B) which are encoded in the introns of the same host gene (MGC40157).
- Galardi S, Fatica A, Bachi A, Scaloni A, Presutti C, Bozzoni I (October 2002). "Purified box C/D snoRNPs are able to reproduce site-specific 2'-O-methylation of target RNA in vitro". Molecular and Cellular Biology. 22 (19): 6663–8. doi:10.1128/MCB.22.19.6663-6668.2002. PMC 134041. PMID 12215523.
- Kiss-László Z, Henry Y, Bachellerie JP, Caizergues-Ferrer M, Kiss T (June 1996). "Site-specific ribose methylation of preribosomal RNA: a novel function for small nucleolar RNAs". Cell. 85 (7): 1077–88. doi:10.1016/S0092-8674(00)81308-2. PMID 8674114.
- Lestrade L, Weber MJ (January 2006). "snoRNA-LBME-db, a comprehensive database of human H/ACA and C/D box snoRNAs". Nucleic Acids Research. 34 (Database issue): D158-62. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.105.7552. doi:10.1093/nar/gkj002. PMC 1347365. PMID 16381836.
- Page for Small nucleolar RNA SNORD49 at Rfam
- Entry for SNORD49A at snoRNABase
- Entry for SNORDU49B at snoRNABase
|This molecular or cell biology article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|