This article is written like a manual or guidebook. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Smarketing is the process of integrating the sales and marketing processes of a business. The objective is for the sales and marketing functions to have a common integrated approach. This can lead to annual revenue growth of up to 20%, according to a study in 2010. The objective is to promote the product or service to potential buyers and at the same time integrate this process with the sales department's activities. Sales and marketing departments should meet frequently and agree on a common terminology, and using data throughout the entire sales and marketing process to identify good prospects and to follow up on how well they are followed up. Smarketing works best when a firm does closed loop reporting by tracking its success with particular prospects from the marketing stage through direct sales efforts. According to one source, Smarketing began around 2000 as a result of improved web browsing capabilities.
- Douglas Burdett, April 1, 2014, Business 2 Community magazine, B2B Smarketing: The 5 Steps To Make Sales and Marketing Work Together, Accessed June 28, 2014, "..In a 2010 study by the Aberdeen Group, companies with strong sales and marketing alignment achieved 20% annual revenue growth..."
- Paul Nolan, SMM Editor, July 27, 2012, Sales & Marketing Management, ‘Smarketing’to the rescue, Accessed June 28, 2014, "..pull sales out of its silo. To accomplish this, Joyce embraced the concept of “smarketing,” or making sure that sales and marketing teams are well aligned and communicating with each other...."
- Calista Rollogas, May 16, 2014, Modern Marketing Today, Smarketing: the Convergence of Social, Sales and Marketing, Accessed June 28, 2014, "..convergence of social, sales and marketing has been a long process that started back in 2000...."
- Meny Hoffman, March 31st, 2011, Yeshiva World, Let’s Talk Business: The Wonderful World of Smarketing!, Accessed June 28, 2014, "..A greater level of consumer interaction is Smarketing, in which you craft and implement ideas that promote a truly outstanding experience for clients..."
- Aaron Rains, May 24, 2014, Social Media Today, What is Smarketing? And How To Put It to Work for You, Accessed June 28, 2014, "..What is ...Smarketing? .... Speak the Same Language ... Set Up Closed Loop Reporting ... Implement a Service Level Agreement .... Maintain Open Communication ... Rely on Data ..."