|Industry||Betting and gaming|
|Founder||Jason Trost and Hunter Morris|
Smarkets is a betting exchange, founded in 2008 by Americans Jason Trost and Hunter Morris. It has offices in central London and Malta, and markets itself as the more "advanced trading platform" alternative to its larger rival, Betfair. Smarkets is backed by a consortium of European investors, including former last.fm chairman Stefan Glaenzer, Passion Capital and Deutsche Telekom.
As a trading platform, all betting is peer-to-peer rather than against a bookmaker; Smarkets allows traders to agree odds between themselves. Establishing a reputation for its political betting, Smarkets also offers betting on sports, current affairs and popular culture.
Smarkets has been listed as one of 10 European startups to watch by the Wall Street Journal, and in 2012 was named in the Startups 100 awards as one of the UK's most innovative, inspiring and groundbreaking new companies.
In April 2015, Smarkets announced that they have handled over 1 billion pounds worth of trades and that figure passed the 3 billion mark in 2016 after the company filed its first audited annual report.
- Divya Rao (2016-10-03). "Coolest Offices 2016 Edition – London Vs. The Rest Of The UK". Adzuna. Retrieved 2016-10-19.
- O’Hear, Steve (2010-10-25). "With Betfair's pending IPO, Smarkets sees £1m traded on its social 'betting exchange'". Techcrunch EU. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- O’Hear, Steve (2013-02-05). "Deutsche Telekom's T-Venture Takes A Punt On P2P Betting Exchange Smarkets, Leads $2.3M Funding Round". The Next Web. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- Donata Huggins (2010-10-07). "The surest bet for business success". City AM. London. p. 30. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "Diary:Ken Backs out of Press gang". The Independent. 2011-01-28. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- Hasan, Mehdi (21 February 2011). "Gove's reverse Midas touch- everything he touches turns to dust". New Statesman: 16. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- Francesca Washtell (2016-10-10). "Donald fails to trump Hillary as Clinton storms ahead in betting polls". City AM. London. Retrieved 2016-10-19.
- Yiannopaulus, Milo (2010-12-08). "Out of the Starting blocks". Wall Street Journal Europe. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Startups 100 2012 - Smarkets". Retrieved 2012-07-13.
- Yiannopaulus, Milo (2015-04-20). "Smarkets reaches 1B pound milestone". Marketwatch. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- Sam Shead (2016-09-11). "London betting startup Smarkets grew profits by 1500% last year as £1 billion was traded on its exchange". Business Insider. Retrieved 2016-10-19.
- Francesca Washtell (2016-10-03). "Betting exchange Smarkets reports whopping 1,500 per cent profit rise". City AM. London. Retrieved 2016-10-19.
- "QPR welcome Smarkets on board". 2015-08-07. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "Smarkets confirmed as new shirt sponsors". 2016-06-07. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
|This article about an English company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|