Steamboat Springs, Colorado, U.S.
Smartwool is an American company founded by New England ski instructors Peter and Patty Duke in Steamboat Springs, Colorado in 1994. In 2005 The Timberland Company acquired Smartwool and in 2011 Smartwool became a subsidiary of VF Corporation upon VF Corporation's acquisition of The Timberland Company. The company makes eponymous products primarily from treated merino wool. Smartwool claims that this proprietary treatment makes its products itch-free and resistant to shrinking. Smartwool is also claimed to have moisture-wicking performance and odor-reducing, anti-microbial properties; it is thus marketed primarily as performance apparel. Reviews for Smartwool products are typically found in the context of equipment for hiking and other outdoor activities. They offer products for women, men, and kids.
In 2005, Smartwool implemented the requirement that its New Zealand wool suppliers no longer practice mulesing. In 2010, Smartwool signed a contract to exclusively source its Merino wool from the New Zealand Merino Company.
- Kelly Bastone, 2005: Going global, Steamboat Springs on the Move: Official Business and Relocation Guide for the Yampa Valley, 2005. Retrieved April 26, 2007
- Paul McHugh, Once mighty wool makes comeback in outdoor gear, San Francisco Chronicle, November 23, 2006. Retrieved April 26, 2007.
- SEC Info, Timberland Press Release, November 7, 2005. Retrieved April 26, 2007.
- "VF Completes Acquisition of The Timberland Company". VF Corporation. Retrieved 2018-01-04.
- Unknown author, Efficient Merino Wool Clothing by SmartWool, Metaefficient, unknown date. Retrieved April 26, 2007.
- Richard Bumgardner, Smartwool Light Hiker Socks Product Review, walking.about.com, unknown date. Retrieved April 26, 2007.
- Dave Hunter, Smartwool Base Layers: Men's Lightweight Crew and Lightweight Bottoms, Rock + Run, October 26, 2004. Retrieved April 26, 2007.
- Kristin Hostetter, SmartWool Next-to-SkinWear: Smooth-as-Silk Wool Long Johns., Backpacker.com, April, 1999. Retrieved April 26, 2007.
- "Smartwool® | Socks, Clothing & Accessories". Smartwool USA - English. Retrieved 2016-11-02.
- Justin Thomas, Smartwool requires wool suppliers to end "mulesing", treehugger.com, October 8, 2005. Retrieved April 26, 2007.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-08-30. Retrieved 2011-01-20.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)