Smash Hits (TV channel)
|Launched||15 May 2001|
|Owned by||The Box Plus Network
(Bauer Media Group/Channel Four Television Corporation)
|Picture format||576i (16:9 SDTV)|
|Audience share||0.03% (July 2015BARB),|
|Sky (UK only)||Channel 362|
|Astra 2E||12480 V 27500 2/3|
|Virgin Media||Channel 337|
|Virgin Media Ireland||Channel 712|
|Smash Hits||Watch live (UK and Ireland only)|
|Virgin TV Anywhere||Watch live (UK only)|
|UPC Horizon||Watch live (Ireland only)|
Smash Hits is a British commercial television channel owned by The Box Plus Network. The channel broadcasts general pop music in shows such as Chartbusters, which is recent music and Pop Domination, which is new and old music. It also shows other programmes such as themed countdowns and charts such as Top 50 Boy Bands. The channel also has hours dedicated to a particular artist or band such as Pussycat Dolls: Ultimate 10. It is based on the former Smash Hits Magazine, which was owned by EMAP.
The channel is available on a number of platforms including Sky and Virgin Media. It is part of a network of channels owned by The Box Plus Network, which include 4Music, Kerrang!, Kiss, Heat, The Box, and Magic. On 2 April 2013, all Box Television channels went free-to-air on satellite, apart from 4Music which went free-to-view. As a result the channels were removed from the Sky EPG in Ireland. However, Smash Hits launched on Freesat on 15 April 2013, alongside three other Box Television channels.
Smash Hits TV was also the name given to a spin-off TV show broadcast on Sky One in 2001.
- Chartbusters - Recent pop music.
- Every 1's a Number 1! - A collection of music which reached number one in the charts.
- From the Beginning - A look at the life and music of a certain artist or band.
- Pop Domination - New and old pop music.
- Your No.1 Pop Channel - The best pop music.
Charts & Countdowns
- Flashback Five - A look back at five videos from classic pop acts.
- Hit40UK - The 40 biggest videos now.
- Ultimate 10 - The 10 best videos from an artist or band.
- "Bauer's Box channels appear free-to-air on satellite". a516digital. 2 April 2013.
- "Freesat turn up the volume with 4 new music channels". Join Freesat. 15 April 2013.