From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The town centre (dark green) and the statistical district (light green) of Smilde in the municipality of Midden-Drenthe.
In 2001, the town of Smilde had 3460 inhabitants. The built-up area of the town was 1.2 km², and contained 1449 residences. The statistical area "Smilde", which can also include the surrounding countryside, has a population of around 4890.
People born in Smilde
- Jacob Israël de Haan (b. 1881), an anti-Zionist, ultra-Orthodox activist who was assassinated in Jerusalem in 1924.
- Hendrikje van Andel-Schipper (1890 – 2005) The oldest person ever to have lived in the Netherlands, aged 115 at the time of her death.
- Alwin Kloekhorst (b. 1978), Indo-Europeanist and Hittitologist at the University of Leiden.
- Ad van der Meer and Onno Boonstra, "Repertorium van Nederlandse gemeenten", KNAW, 2006. 
- Statistics Netherlands (CBS), Bevolkingskernen in Nederland 2001. (Statistics are for the continuous built-up area).
- Statistics Netherlands (CBS), Statline: Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2003-2005. As of 1 January 2005.
- J. Kuyper, Gemeente Atlas van Nederland, 1865-1870, "Smilde". Map of the former municipality in 1868.
- Zendstation Smilde a.k.a. Smilde Tower
|This Drenthe location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|