Smith & Caughey's
|Headquarters||Auckland, New Zealand|
|Products||apparel, cosmetics, accessories, homewares, furniture, general merchandise|
Smith & Caughey Ltd, trading as Smith & Caughey's, is a mid-sized department store chain (consisting of just two premises) in Auckland, New Zealand. It is considered to be a top-range retail chain.
One of the older companies of the country, it was established in 1880 by Marianne Smith as a drapery store, and is the oldest Auckland department store. Currently, it is mostly fashion-oriented, with sections of jewellery and homewares.
The company has two stores in Auckland; on Queen Street, City Centre, and Broadway, Newmarket. The flagship Queen Street premises is a heritage building. The Newmarket premises is a mid-1880s heritage building constructed by the company.
Departments at both stores include Cosmetics, Men's & Women's Fragrance, Wellbeing, Men's Grooming, Men's Clothing, Men's Underwear & Accessories, Jewellery, Handbags, Hosiery, Women's Accessories, and Women's Fashion & Lingerie. Additional departments at the Queen Street store only, are Fine Foods & Wines, Men's & Women's Shoes, Luggage, Tableware, Kitchenware, Bed & Bathware, and Childrenswear & Toys.[self-published source?]
The current official ambassador for Smith & Caughey's is New Zealand actress Antonia Prebble.
One of the many large-format cosmetics counters at Smith & Caughey's Queen Street, for Dior
- Perry, Keith (17 December 2006). "Christmas shopping kicks in a week late". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Story: Smith, Marianne". teara.govt.nz. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- Lewis, Penny (13 July 2005). "Smith & Caughey's enchanting celebration". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Retail therapy: New life for old store". The New Zealand Herald. 7 September 2006. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Newmarket - Heritage Walk Archived June 26, 2009, at the Wayback Machine (from the website of the Newmarket business association)