Smith & Wesson M&P15
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Smith & Wesson M&P15|
|Type||AR-15 style semi-automatic rifle|
|Place of origin||United States|
|Manufacturer||Smith & Wesson|
|Mass||3.06 kg (6.74 lb)|
|Length||813 mm (32 in) (collapsed)|
889 mm (35 in) (extended)
|Barrel length||406 mm (16 in)|
|Action||Gas-operated, rotating bolt|
|Rate of fire||Semi-automatic|
|Feed system||10- or 30-round detachable box magazine|
"M&P" stands for "Military & Police" and is used to pay homage to the Smith & Wesson .38 Military & Police revolver. According to the company, the .38 Military & Police, now known as the Model 10 revolver, has been in continuous production since 1899, and over six million units have been produced."
The M&P15 was introduced at the 2006 SHOT Show in two varieties: the M&P15 and the M&P15T. Both are basically the same rifle, chambered in 5.56×45mm NATO, with the T-model featuring folding sights and a four-sided accessories rail fore end. They include the standard direct impingement gas system. In order to decrease cost on the original design both the dust cover and forward assist were omitted. These rifles were initially produced for S&W by Stag Arms, but marked and marketed under the Smith & Wesson name. Currently, Smith & Wesson makes the lower receiver in-house, while the barrel is supplied by Thompson/Center Arms, an S&W company acquired in 2007.
Smith & Wesson's total rifle production has increased through the years since it entered the rifle market. In the past, the company had marketed rifles and shotguns made by other manufacturers, but had not manufactured a long gun in house since World War II to fulfill a British military contract. Smith & Wesson made this entry into the long gun market because it was estimated in 2007 as a $1.1 billion market, 80% larger than the U.S. handgun market.
In May 2008, Smith & Wesson introduced their first AR-15 rifle in new caliber, the model M&P15R, a standard AR platform rifle chambered for the Russian 5.45×39mm cartridge. This was due to the availability cheap surplus Communist Bloc 5.45mm ammunition and AK-series weapons. However, few shooters wanted an expensive AR-15 clone in a non-standard caliber that needed special magazines. As a result, the model was soon abandoned due to poor sales.
Smith & Wesson's M&P15 Sport II was introduced in 2016. It includes additional features of a forward bolt assist and dust cover not found on the original M&P15 model.
The rifle model is based on the AR-15. Smith & Wesson offers the M&P15 semi-automatic rifles in different configurations, tailored to specific shooting applications and styles. The rifle has different models that come chambered in 5.56mm NATO/.223 Remington, .22 Long Rifle, and 5.45×39mm. The barrels come with either a melonite lined or chrome-lined 4140 steel rifling, and 7075 T6 aluminum receiver with a hard-coat black anodized finish.
The Standard model has an adjustable CAR-15 stock and comes with 10-round or 30-round magazine. The Compliant model (designed for the California market) has a CAR-15 stock fixed in the open position (with an overall length of 33.75 inches) and comes with 10-round magazines.
The Smith & Wesson Performance Center target shooting version has an 18-inch bull barrel threaded to take any AR-15/M16-style compensator, a free-floated forend, integral Picatinny rail system and ships with a 10-round magazine.
- United States
- "Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation F4Q08 (Qtr End 04/30/08) Earnings Call Transcript". SeekingAlpha. June 13, 2008. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
The entire M&P product line has been a tremendous success. These products were designed to cross multiple markets including military, law enforcement, and consumer, and they are hitting their mark in a big way.
- "Smith & Wesson M&P: A Semiautomatic Pistol Worthy Of Its Name". Shooting Times. 2011-01-03. Retrieved 2017-03-29.
- "Smith & Wesson Enters Long-Gun Market with M&P15 Rifles" (Press release). Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. January 18, 2006. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
We are entering the $1 billion market for long guns...We believe the features of these tactical rifles make them strong contenders in the military and law enforcement markets. We also believe that our M&P rifle series fills a tremendous gap in the marketplace by delivering high-quality, feature-rich tactical rifles that will be readily available in commercial channels.
- Sears, Steven M. (June 11, 2007). "Load Up". Barron's.
The company's biggest opportunity is the "long-gun" market, which includes shotguns and rifles. Entering this $1.1 billion market, 80% larger than the U.S. handgun market, could be a good catalyst for the stock, says Cai von Rumohr, a Cowen & Co. analyst.
- "Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Report: 2006". Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). p. 12.
- "Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Report: 2008". Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). p. 13.
- "Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Report: 2010". Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). p. 19.
- "Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Report: 2012". Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). p. 19.
- "Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Report: 2013". Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). p. 34.
- Supica, Jim; Nahas, Richard (14 November 2016). Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson. Iola, Wisconsiin: F+W Media. pp. 416–419, 438. ISBN 978-1-4402-4565-7.
- "Smith and Wesson M&P15R: New AR15 Platform Rifle and Uppers in 5.45×39".
- "S&W M&P15 PS and PSX (piston AR-15)". TheFirearmBlog.com. January 23, 2009. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Smith & Wesson Investor Presentation, Dec 2012". Smith and Wesson. p. 21. Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- "Introducing the Smith & Wesson M&P10 in .308 Win". Guns and Ammo Magazine. January 17, 2013. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- "Smith & Wesson Introduces the M&P15 SPORT II Rifle". Gun News | Gun Reviews | Gun Magazine: Personal Defense World (Press release). 2016-03-18. Retrieved 2017-03-23.
- Shideler, Dan (20 August 2010). Guns Illustrated 2011: The Latest Guns, Specs & Prices. Iola, Wisconsin: F+W Media, Inc. p. 209. ISBN 1-4402-1624-X.
- "M&P 15T 10-round fixed magazine bullet button". Smith & Wesson. Retrieved 16 March 2017.
- "Smith & Wesson M&15 Rifle". Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "Smith & Wesson Supplies M&P Rifles to Maricopa County Sheriff's Office". Outdoorhub.com. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "S&W Delivers New Sidearms to West Virginia State Police and Wyoming Highway Patrol". Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "Best AR-15 in .22LR [Colt M4 .22LR + Others] - Pew Pew Tactical". Pew Pew Tactical. 21 June 2018. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Smith & Wesson M&P15|