Smith & Wesson SD
|Smith & Wesson SW|
|Place of origin||United States|
|Designer||Smith & Wesson|
|Manufacturer||Smith & Wesson|
|Variants||SW40F, SW9F, SW40C, SW9C, SW40V, SW9V, SW40E, SW9E, SW40VE, SW40GVE, SW40Ti, SW357V, SW9VE, SW9P, SW9G, SW380M, SW9M|
|Mass||26 ounces (740 g) (SW40F, SW9F)|
24 ounces (690 g) (SW40C, SW40V, SW40VE, SW40E. SW357V)
24+1/2 ounces (700 g) (SW9C, SW9V, SW9VE, SW9E, SW9G, SW9P)
20 ounces (SW40Ti)
|Length||7+3/4 inches (197 mm) (SW40F, SW9F)|
7+1/4 inches (184 mm) (SW40C, SW40V, SW40VE, SW40E, SW40Ti, SW357V SW9C, SW9V, SW9VE, SW9E, SW9G, SW9P)
|Barrel length||4+1/2 inches (114 mm) (SW40F, SW9F)|
4 inches (102 mm) (SW40C, SW40V, SW40VE, SW40E, SW357V, SW9C, SW9V, SW9VE, SW9E, SW9G, SW9P)
|Width||1+1/3 inches (33 mm)|
|Height||5+1/2 inches (142 mm) (SW40F, SW9F)|
|Cartridge||.40 S&W |
.380 ACP (SW380M)
|Feed system||Detachable box magazine; capacities:
|Sights||Fixed 3-dot notch sights|
The Smith & Wesson Sigma, was Smith & Wesson's first venture into using synthetic materials in pistol construction, using high-strength polymer material for the frame. The pistol is similar to a Glock safe-action pistol in both its design and operation, leading to controversy and speculation regarding the pistol's patents' legality.
Created in 1994, the Sigma incorporates a pre-set striker firing mechanism. It is available in both .40 S&W cartridge and 9×19mm Parabellum, being one of the first pistols purpose-designed to handle the .40 S&W. Similarly styled sub-compact designs in .380 ACP and 9×19mm were also produced. A limited number of these pistols were also chambered in .357 SIG. Material used for the slide is zinc-aluminium alloy known as ZAMAK.
The Sigma series pistols were so similar to the competing Glock pistols that Glock sued Smith & Wesson for patent infringement. The case was settled out of court in 1997, with S&W agreeing to make alterations to the Sigma design and pay an undisclosed amount to Glock.
- "Apex Tactical Mag Base Pad +3 S&W SD40 Aluminum Black".
- "ProMag Smith & Wesson SD40 .40 S&W 25 Round Magazine Blue Steel | Cheaper Than Dirt".
- "Apex Tactical Mag Base Pad +3 S&W SD9 Aluminum Black".
- "ProMag S&W SD9 9mm Luger 32 Round Magazine Blued Steel | Cheaper Than Dirt".
- Boorman, Dean K. (1 December 2002). The History of Smith & Wesson Firearms. Globe Pequot Press. p. 75. ISBN 978-1-58574-721-4.
- "SW380 - Forgotten Pocket Gun That Should Stay Thataway". 3 April 2019.
- Judge dismisses lawsuit against gunmaker, S&W and Glock settle suit | Shooting Industry | Find Articles at BNET
- "Old Hansard". Archived from the original on 19 January 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- Guns and Ammo, Stan Trzoniec, October 2010