Smith Hart in 2011.
November 28, 1948 |
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
|Residence||Barrie, Ontario, Canada|
|Spouse(s)||Maria Rosado Hart (m. 1979–1998; her death)|
|Professional wrestling career|
|Ring name(s)||Smith Hart|
|Billed height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Billed weight||221 lb (100 kg).|
|Billed from||Calgary, Alberta, Canada|
|Trained by||Stu Hart|
Smith Stewart Hart (born November 28, 1948) is a Canadian former professional wrestler and a member of the Hart wrestling family. His parents are Stu Hart and his wife Helen (both now deceased) and Smith was the first of their twelve children, being one of their eight sons (Bruce, Keith, Wayne, Bret, Ross, and the late Dean and Owen followed him).
He is of Greek descent through his maternal grandmother and Irish through his maternal grandfather. His father was mainly of Scots-Irish descent but also had Scottish and English ancestry.
When he was less than a year old his mother, Helen Hart, suffered an automobile accident while pregnant with his younger brother Bruce. As a result he was sent to live with his maternal grandparents, Harry and Elizabeth Smith, for almost two years.
He wrestled in his father's Stampede Wrestling promotion and in Puerto Rico's World Wrestling Council in the 1970s, as well as trips to Japan, England, Germany and the Netherlands. While in Germany he caused a great uproar when before a match he gave the Nazi salute to the crowd. He also helped out behind the scenes at Stampede Wrestling.
At the SummerSlam (1994) event Hart and his brothers can be seen attempting to climb the cage in which Bret and Owen Hart had their match.
Hart also appeared on WWE television at his father Stu's Hall of Fame induction together with his sibling.
On November 19, 2013 Smith joined PWMania.com as a columnist.
In February 2013 Smith became an executive member of the Victory Commonwealth Wrestling board of directors along with "Soulman" Ricky Johnson, uncle of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. He has since made many appearances for the company.
In April 2014 Hart announced that David Benoit, the son of late wrestler Chris Benoit was to make his in ring debut for the Hart Legacy Wrestling promotion on July 18 in a tag team match with Chavo Guerrero. Hart claimed that Benoit had been trained by his nephew David Hart Smith. The match was later canceled in May when Chris Jericho informed Guerrero that David did not have any formal training. Hart had told different versions to the two men, to Guerrero he had said that David had received training for the match but had also told Jericho that David would not be wrestling, just involved in a storyline.
He was at one point booker for the Canadian based Great North Wrestling company.
After the Hart House was sold in 2003 he refused to move out and hid inside it.
Hart meet his wife Maria in Puerto Rico.
Hart has five children, two daughters Tobi McIvor and Satanic Ecstasy "Tanya" Hart, as well as three sons Michael Herweg, Matthew Herweg and Chad Pointen. Chad was raised by his maternal grandaunt Kathie Pointen and her husband Vern after a court found Smith to be unfit to raise Chad.
Hart also has five grandchildren, three granddaughters from his oldest, Tobi, named Amanda, Jessica and Isabella, and two grandsons named Lakken and Ashwin Stelzner from his son Michael, who also has a stepdaughter named Havanna Stelzner.
Hart is one of 96 known people on an Alberta Justice website who owe a combined $6.6 million in court-ordered Maintenance Enforcement Program (MEP) payments to spouses and children.
On January 21, 2016, Hart announced on his Twitter and Facebook profile that he had been diagnosed with both prostate and bone cancers. He is also in the progress of writing his autobiography. Two weeks later via his Facebook, his brother Bret Hart revealed that he had prostate cancer. Unfortunately, Smith's cancer has spread to his hip, and when the disease is restricted to the prostate, the survival rate would be rather high.
Championships and accomplishments
- "Help us find payors – listed by region". justice.alberta.ca.
- smith.hart.5: "Profile" Cf. https://www.facebook.com/smith.hart.5
- Hart, Bret (2007). Hitman: My real life in the cartoon world of wrestling. Ebury Press. p. 8 pp. ISBN 9780091932862.
- Letawsky, Craig (2002-05-07). "Ask 411 - 5.07.02". 411wrestling.com.
- Hart, Diana; McLellan, Kirstie (2001). Under the Mat: Inside Wrestling's Greatest Family. Fenn. p. 16 pp. ISBN 1-55168-256-7.
- Heath McCoy (2007). Pain and Passion: The History of Stampede Wrestling. ECWPress. p. 30 pp. ISBN 978-1-55022-787-1.
- Slamthology: Collected Wrestling Writings 1991-2004. jnlister. 2005. p. 252 pp. ISBN 1-4116-5329-7.
- Heath McCoy (2007). Pain and Passion: The History of Stampede Wrestling. ECWPress. p. 16 pp. ISBN 978-1-55022-787-1.
- Martha Hart; Eric Francis (2004). Broken Harts: The Life and Death of Owen Hart. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 84 pp. ISBN 978-1-59077-036-8.
- name="SLAM!""An open letter to Shawn Michaels". http: canoe. May 17, 1997.
- Heath McCoy (2007). Pain and Passion: The History of Stampede Wrestling. ECWPress. p. 37 pp. ISBN 978-1-55022-787-1.
- "Caribbean Tag Team Title". wrestling-titles.com. Retrieved 2008-12-06.
- Harvey, Lyle. "Harts lose guest-house in fire". SLAM! Sports. Retrieved 2008-12-06.
- Ben Undelson (2013). Fiction. A Nostalgic Guide to Growing up with the WWF. lulu.com. p. 329 pp. ISBN 978-1-304-10190-7.
- D'Amour, Mike. "WWF rumour 'disgusting'". SLAM! Sports. Retrieved 2008-12-06.
- Rennie, Steve (2005-03-29). "Highlanders set sights on WWE". SLAM! Sports. Retrieved 2008-12-06.
- "Bret Hart def. Mr. McMahon in a No Holds Barred Match". WWE. March 28, 2010. Retrieved December 23, 2012.
-  Bret Hart and the Hart family speak on behalf of Stu Hart
- "David Benoit, son of Chris Benoit, to make wrestling debut for Hart Legacy Wrestling on July 18th". kocosports.net.
- "Chris Benoit’s Son Making His Pro Wrestling Debut In Tag Match With Former WWE Star". pwmania.com.
- "David Benoit’s Pro Wrestling Debut Cancelled Amid Controversy; Chavo Guerrero Pulls Out of Event & Chris Jericho "Furious"". wrestlezone.com.
- "Update: The Latest on the David Benoit Smith Hart Situation, How Jericho Got Involved, Why Chavo Backed Out of the Match & Much More". wrestlezone.com.
- "David Benoit's pro wrestling debut cancelled under strange circumstances". cagesideseats.com.
- "Smith Hart Comments On David Benoit’s In-Ring Wrestling Debut Being Canceled". sescoops.com.
- Hart, Bret (2007). Hitman: My real life in the cartoon world of wrestling. Ebury Press. p. 46 pp. ISBN 9780091932862.
- Hart, Bret (2007). Hitman: My real life in the cartoon world of wrestling. Ebury Press. p. 31 pp. ISBN 9780091932862.
- Hart, Bret (2007). Hitman: My real life in the cartoon world of wrestling. Ebury Press. p. 188 pp. ISBN 9780091932862.
- Hart, Diana; McLellan, Kirstie (2001). Under the Mat: Inside Wrestling's Greatest Family. Fenn. p. 24 pp. ISBN 1-55168-256-7.
- Hart, Bret (2007). Hitman: My real life in the cartoon world of wrestling. Ebury Press. p. 528 pp. ISBN 9780091932862.
- Hart, Diana; McLellan, Kirstie (2001). Under the Mat: Inside Wrestling's Greatest Family. Fenn. p. 21 pp. ISBN 1-55168-256-7.
-  From the front row with Mike Hart; 18:41
- "HART FAMILY LAUNCHES NEW PROMOTION, LIVE IN THE OLD HART HOUSE AND MORE NEWS". PWInsider.
- "RINGSIDE REMEMBRANCES — THE HART DYNASTY". 1wrestling.com. April 14, 2010.
- "Member of Calgary's Hart family on list of 96 Alberta delinquent family support debtors". calgarysun.com.
- @SmithHart1: "I regret to announce that I have been diagnosed with bone and prostate cancer" Cf. https://twitter.com/SmithHart1/status/690218354544623616
- Beck, Greg. "Both Harts deal with cancer". Wrestlingnews.co. Retrieved February 4, 2016.