Smith Township, Belmont County, Ohio
|Smith Township, Belmont County, Ohio|
The James Kinney Farmhouse, built 1863
Location of Smith Township in Belmont County
|• Total||36.2 sq mi (93.8 km2)|
|• Land||36.1 sq mi (93.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||1,135 ft (346 m)|
|• Density||43/sq mi (16.5/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085784|
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Richland Township - north
- Mead Township - southeast
- Washington Township - south
- Wayne Township - southwest
- Goshen Township - west
Name and history
Statewide, the only other Smith Township is located in Mahoning County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Smith township, Belmont County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- McKelvey, A. T. (1903). Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens. Biographical Publishing Company. p. 283.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 422. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.