Smiths Grove, Kentucky
|Smiths Grove, Kentucky|
Location of Smiths Grove, Kentucky
|• Total||0.8 sq mi (2.1 km2)|
|• Land||0.8 sq mi (2.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||636 ft (194 m)|
|• Density||945.3/sq mi (365.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0503812|
Smiths Grove is located at (37.053448, -86.207569).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 784 people, 298 households, and 228 families residing in the city. The population density was 945.3 people per square mile (364.7/km²). There were 329 housing units at an average density of 396.7 per square mile (153.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 84.82% White, 12.12% African American, 1.91% from other races, and 1.15% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.91% of the population.
There were 298 households out of which 35.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.4% were married couples living together, 12.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.2% were non-families. 20.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the city the population was spread out with 27.2% under the age of 18, 4.7% from 18 to 24, 31.0% from 25 to 44, 22.2% from 45 to 64, and 14.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 86.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $36,058, and the median income for a family was $43,750. Males had a median income of $32,292 versus $23,365 for females. The per capita income for the city was $19,335. About 7.0% of families and 7.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.5% of those under age 18 and 14.4% of those age 65 or over.
North Warren Elementary, a school in the Warren County Public School System, is located in Smiths Grove. Secondary students in Smiths Grove attend Warren East Middle and High Schools, located north of Bowling Green.
In popular culture
- Smiths Grove is one of the key locations in the Halloween film series, although it is implied in the films that Smiths Grove is located in Illinois. John Carpenter, director and co-writer of the original Halloween film, grew up in Bowling Green, 12 miles from Smiths Grove. Smiths Grove had an infamous reputation for closing Kentucky State Highway 101 locally known as Main Street every Halloween night.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.