Smithson Valley High School
|Smithson Valley High School|
|14001 Highway 46 West
Spring Branch, Texas 78070-7299
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Comal Independent School District|
|Color(s)||Red, White & Navy|
|Athletics conference||UIL Class AAAAAA|
|Rival||New Braunfels High School|
|Website||Smithson Valley High School website|
Smithson Valley High School is a public high school located in unincorporated Comal County, Texas (USA) and classified as a 6A school by the UIL. It is part of the Comal Independent School District and is one of three high schools in the district.
Smithson Valley High School is zoned for students who live primarily in the southwestern Comal County and northern Bexar County area, including Bulverde, Spring Branch, portions of Timberwood Park, and portions of Canyon Lake. In 2015, the school was rated "Met Standard" by the Texas Education Agency.
In 2007, some students were sent to the new Canyon Lake High School. Before the split, Smithson Valley's student enrollment reached as high as 2,500 students.
The enrollment for the 2010 school year was 2,062. 76% of students enrolled at that time were caucasian, 20% Hispanic, and 3% African American. There was a student to teacher ratio of one to sixteen compared to the Texas average of one to twelve. 98% of enrolled students graduate in 2010.
The Smithson Valley Rangers compete in the following sports:
- Cross Country
- Swimming and Diving
- Track & Field
The school is part of District 25-6A. In football, Smithson Valley has traveled to the University Interscholastic League State 5A Championship Game two times and the State 4A Championship Game once, resulting in three losses. The current football coach, Larry Hill, has been head of all athletics since 1993. Smithson Valley also offers band, dance team, cheerleading, NJROTC, FFA, National Forensic League, and language clubs along with several interest clubs.
Both losses to Carroll High School
- Eryk Anders — Cleveland Browns Practice Squad, Current MMA Fighter
- Corey Clark — Former 7th round pick San Diego Chargers
- Jason LaRue — Former MLB Catcher played with Cincinnati Reds (1999–2006), Kansas City Royals (2007) and the St. Louis Cardinals (2008–2010)
- Joe Pawelek — Former Seattle Seahawks, Practice Squad Jacksonville Jaguars
- Andrew Sendejo — Current Minnesota Vikings
- Comal ISD History
- "High School Attendance Zones" (Archive). Comal Independent School District. Retrieved on August 28, 2016. Smithson Valley HS zone (Archive)
- "City Limits and ETJ." City of Bulverde. Retrieved on August 27, 2016. Zoning map.
- "Location Map." City of Spring Branch. Retrieved on August 27, 2016. Text description of map
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Timberwood Park CDP, TX" (Archive). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on August 26, 2016.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP (INDEX): Canyon Lake CDP, TX." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on August 28, 2016.
- "2015 Accountability Rating System". Texas Education Agency.
- UIL Centennial Webpage
- UIL Centennial Webpage