|Year||1969–1970 , fabricated 2000|
|Type||Aluminum, painted black|
|Dimensions||210 cm × 2,400 cm × 1,800 cm (84 in × 960 in × 720 in)|
|Location||Middlebury College Museum of Art, Middlebury, VT|
Smog is a public artwork by American artist Tony Smith located to the south east of McCardell Bicentennial Hall on the Middlebury College campus, in Middlebury, Vermont. An example of minimalist sculpture, the piece is a lattice of 45 octahedra, standing on 22 tetrahedra, and topped with 15 prisms. It is fabricated from aluminum, painted black. This work is first in an edition of three, with one artist's proof.
Smith derived Smog from Smoke, a vertically oriented work first produced in painted plywood and installed at the Corcoran Gallery of Art in 1967. After this version had been deinstalled and modified and returned to the artist, Smith re-worked the forms into a horizontally oriented work which he called Smog. The sculpture has been produced on a smaller scale, measuring 12 inches x 113 inches x 79 inches, in cast bronze with a black patina.
The sculpture was purchased by Middlebury College's Committee on Art in Public Places with funds provided by the Middlebury College College Board of Trustees One Percent for Art Policy on the occasion of the construction of the Bicentennial Hall. The policy sets aside one percent of the cost of any renovation or new construction at the College for the purchase, installation, maintenance, and interpretation of works of art publicly displayed on campus.
In conjunction with the sculpture's dedication on October 21, 2000, the Middlebury College Museum of Art mounted an exhibition, Tony Smith's Smog: A New Sculpture for Middlebury which featured models, preparatory drawings, and photographs related to the history of the sculpture.
- Tony Smith: Not an Object. Not a Monument. Germany: steidl mm publishers. 2007. ISBN 978-3-86521-313-6.
- "Tony Smith Sculpture for Middlebury College Campus". WeldingWorks. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Catalog entry for Smoke". Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Archived from the original on 5 November 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Smog in Tony Smith: Bronze, an exhibition at Matthew Marks Gallery 6 November 2010- 29 January, 2011". Matthew Marks Gallery. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "Committee on Public Art's Mission". Middlebury College. Retrieved 6 August 2012.
- "Middlebury College Press Release "Bicentennial Celebration Continues to Expand and Enlighten", 30 August 2000". Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- Entry for Smog on Middlebury College's site
- Middlebury College's Public Art Collection - Tony Smith (video)
- Press release for Tony Smith: Bronze, an exhibition at the Matthew Marks Gallery, New York, NY, 6 November 2010- 29 January 2011.
- Lippincott's LLC