The J.M. Smucker Company
This article needs to be updated. In particular: Article needs update regarding sales of baking assets to Brynwood Partners. (July 2018)
Orrville, Ohio, US
|Founder||Jerome Monroe Smucker|
|Richard K. Smucker, |
Mark T. Smucker,
|Revenue||$7.3 billion (2017)|
|Subsidiaries||Big Heart Pet Brands|
The J. M. Smucker Company, also known as Smucker and Smucker's, is an American manufacturer of fruit spreads, ice cream toppings, beverages, shortening, peanut butter, oils, and other products in North America. Smucker's headquarters are located in Orrville, Ohio. It was founded in 1897.
The J.M. Smucker Company was founded in 1897 by Jerome Monroe Smucker. The company produces many types of jellies, jams, and other food items. Jerome was born on December 5, 1858 in Orrville, Ohio. Much of his life was spent as a farmer in Orrville. In 1897 Jerome built a cider mill that was located in Orrville. Fruit that was used was from trees that Johnny Appleseed had planted in the early nineteenth century. Later, he prepared apple butter and sold it from the back of a horse-drawn wagon. The company was incorporated in 1921.
The J. M. Smucker Company has been headquartered in Orrville, Ohio, since its founding, and has been family-run for four generations. Since 1998, the company has appeared on Fortune magazine's annual listing of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in the United States, ranking number one in 2004.
In May 2008, Smucker's announced it had bought the food division of Knott's Berry Farm from ConAgra Foods, while Cedar Fair continues to own the theme park itself. On June 4, 2008, Smucker's announced it would purchase the Folgers coffee brand division from Procter & Gamble for $3.3 billion. Completion of the sale was announced on November 6, 2008.
After an antitrust lawsuit filed by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) in early March 2018, Conagra Brands Inc. and J. M. Smucker Co. cancelled a deal for Smucker to purchase the Wesson brand. The FTC claimed that Smucker would have controlled at least 70 percent of the market for branded canola and vegetable oils.
The J. M. Smucker Company is a marketer and manufacturer of fruit spreads, peanut butter, shortening and oils, ice cream toppings, sweetened condensed milk, and health and natural foods and beverages. J.M. Smucker Company brands include:
Product types and brands
- Jam, jelly, and preserves
- Dickinson's Gourmet Preserves
- King Kelly Orange Marmalade
- Shirriff marmalade (Canada)
- Zest Sweet Mustard Pickles
- Fruit Butter
- Double Fruit
- Low Sugar
- Simply Fruit
- Sugar Free
- Peanut butter
- Ice cream toppings
- Specialty items
- Oils and shortening
- Flour and baking mixes
- Juices, beverages, and sauces (natural and organic)
- After the Fall
- Natural Brew (Real Brew in Canada)
- R.W. Knudsen Family (also apple butter and cranberry sauce)
- Santa Cruz Organic (also peanut butter, chocolate and caramel sauce, and applesauces)
- Tenderleaf Tea (from the makers of Folgers)
- Coffee products
Past and present slogans
- "With a name like Smucker's, it has to be good!"
- "Smucker will make you pucker!"
- "If you find a better jelly, you buy it!"
- "Smucker Company, the brand you can trust.”
- "There ain't no place like Smucker's!"
- "The only brand of jams that can make a piece of bread lively!"
- "If you're hungry, Smucker's is the way to go!"
- "Smuckers may be yummy, your tummy may be too, but your grocer's freezer, is not far from you!"
- "Bread, jam and jelly, in your belly, lick your spoon and cut your bread, then you will be Smucker's well fed"
- Mary Ellen (jams and jellies)
- Dickinson's (gourmet preserves and jellies)
- Knudsen & Sons (fruit and vegetable juices)
- Shirriff (dessert toppings and marmalades including Good Morning Marmalade) (Canada)
- Laura Scudder (peanut butter)
- After the Fall (juices)
- Adams (peanut butter)
- Jif (peanut butter)
- Crisco (oils)
- International Multifoods Corporation
- White Lily Brand (flour products)
- Sara Lee North American foodservice coffee and tea operations (coffee products)
- Ainsworth Pet Nutrition
- Better Than! Treats
- Dad's Pet Care
- Ainsworth Pet Nutrition
- Sealed crustless sandwich, a patented Smucker product
- Reverse Morris trust, an acquisition method favored by Smucker.
- "100 Best Companies to Work For 2008: J. M. Smucker". CNN.com. 2008.
- "Smucker's History". JMSmucker.com. The J.M. Smucker Company.
- "Jerome M. Smucker". ohiohistorycentral.org. Ohio History Connection.
- "Smucker Company Timeline". Smuckers.com.
- "100 Best Companies to Work For in the United States". Fortune. January 12, 2004.
- Eades, Mark (May 27, 2016). "Knott's Berry Farm gets new boss, a former Disneyland executive". Orange County Register. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- "Smucker's to buy Folgers coffee". Plain Dealer. June 4, 2008. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016 – via Cleveland.com.
- "The Marketing Doctor Says: Smuckers Buys Folgers". Marketing Doctor. June 6, 2008. Archived from the original (blog) on October 29, 2013.
- "The J. M. Smucker Company Announces Completion of Folgers Merger". Folgers.com (Press release). June 11, 2008. Archived from the original on February 7, 2009.
- Armental, Maria (March 6, 2018). "Smucker, Conagra Call Off Wesson Oil Deal After FTC Challenge". The Wall Street Journal. The New York Times, New York City, United States. Retrieved March 9, 2018.
- "The J. M. Smucker Company Declares Dividend" (Press release). The J. M. Smucker Company. October 20, 2017. Retrieved November 14, 2017 – via PRNewswire.com.
- "SPC to acquire IXL for $51 m". The Age. 2004-05-12. Retrieved 2014-03-11 – via theage.com.au.
- "International Multifoods Shareholders Approve Merger With The J.M. Smucker Company". allbusiness.com.
- "About Us". Eagle Family Foods.
- Townsend, Adam; Staff Writers (November 22, 2008). "Why Did Food Maker Leave California?". Orange County Register. Retrieved November 14, 2017 – via OCRegister.com.
- "History". fiveroses.ca. Five Roses. Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- "J. M. Smucker Company Acquires Knott's Berry Farm(R) Food Brand From ConAgra" (Press release). May 13, 2008 – via Reuters.com.
- "J.M. Smucker acquires Montreal-based Europe's Best frozen fruit". freshplaza.com. Canadian Press. March 5, 2008. Archived from the original on July 20, 2011. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- "Sitemap - Millstone Coffee". Millstone.com. 2011-03-22. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Cuban Coffee Brand May Pour Into Mainstream". npr.org. NPR. June 14, 2011. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Sara Lee Corp. Announces Sale of Majority of North American Foodservice Coffee Operations to The J.M. Smucker Company". SaraLee.com (Press release). Downers Grove, Illinois: Sara Lee Corp. October 24, 2011. Archived from the original on September 9, 2012. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Mackinnon, Jim (2015-02-03). "J.M. Smucker adds major pet food brands in 'transformational' $5.8 billion purchase". Akron Beacon Journal. Retrieved 2015-02-04.
- J.M. Smucker Co. Corporate website