|Public limited company|
|Traded as||ISEQ: SK3|
FTSE 100 Component
|Liam O'Mahony, Chairman |
Tony Smurfit, CEO
|Revenue||€ 8,946 million (2018)|
|€ 1,105 million (2018)|
|€ 639 million (2018)|
Number of employees
The Smurfit Kappa Group plc is Europe's leading corrugated packaging company and one of the leading paper-based packaging companies in the world. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
The company was established as a box-maker in Rathmines, Dublin in 1934 and was acquired by Mr Jefferson Smurfit in 1938, trading afterwards as Jefferson Smurfit. It was listed on the Irish Stock Exchange in 1964 and acquired a partial interest in Time Industries, a Chicago-based paper and packaging company, in 1974. Jefferson Smurfit grew under the leadership of the founder's son, Sir Michael Smurfit, who became Chief Executive in 1977.
Jefferson Smurfit was the subject of a management buyout financed by Madison Dearborn Partners, Cinven Limited and CVC Capital Partners in 2002. It merged with Kappa Packaging in 2005, changing its name to Smurfit Kappa, and was the subject of an Initial Public Offering in 2007.
In 2012 it bought Orange County Container, a US-based packaging company, for $340 million.
The company specialises in manufacturing paper-based packaging, with a network of paper, recycling and forestry operations. It is an integrated producer, with packaging plants sourcing the major part of their raw material requirements from the company's own paper mills. In turn, the sourcing of recovered fibre and wood for the mills is managed through a combination of reclamation and forestry operations and purchases from third parties. It has around 45,000 employees across 35 countries - 22 in Europe, 13 in the Americas. Its global headquarters are in Dublin, with regional headquarters in Amsterdam and Miami.
- "2018 Full Year Results" (PDF). Smurfit Kappa Group. 13 February 2019. Retrieved 17 February 2019.
- "Highlights in the history of the Jefferson Smurfit Group". Pulp & Paper International. November 1996. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Boxing clever on the global market". Pulp & Paper International. November 1996. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Ireland's Rich List: 21-30". Irish Independent. 31 March 2010. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Smurfit plans merger with Stone Container". The Independent. 12 May 1998. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Chicago investment firm to buy Jefferson Smurfit". Chicago Tribune. 18 June 2002. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Smurfit and Kappa close to merger says report". Food Production. 26 August 2005. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Smurfit Kappa Sells More Shares After IPO". Reuters. 16 March 2007. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Smurfit Kappa completes deal to buy Orange County Container". Packaging News. 3 December 2012. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "About Us". Smurfit Kappa Group. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- Smurfit Kappa Group homepage