Snake Eyes (2021 film)
|Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins|
|Directed by||Robert Schwentke|
|Written by||Evan Spiliotopoulos|
|Based on||Snake Eyes|
|Music by||Martin Todsharow|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
Snake Eyes (subtitled G.I. Joe Origins) is an upcoming American superhero film and spin-off of the G.I. Joe film series directed by Robert Schwentke. Henry Golding portrays the main character, replacing Ray Park, while Andrew Koji, Iko Uwais, Úrsula Corberó, Samara Weaving, Haruka Abe, Takehiro Hira, Steven Allerick and Peter Mensah are starring in supporting roles.
Snake Eyes was initially scheduled for release in 2020, but was postponed to October 22, 2021, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The film serves as an origin story of the character Snake Eyes.
- Henry Golding as Snake Eyes
- Andrew Koji as Storm Shadow
- Iko Uwais as Hard Master
- Peter Mensah as Blind Master
- Úrsula Corberó as Baroness
- Samara Weaving as Scarlett
It was announced in May 2018 that the next installment of the G.I. Joe franchise would be a prequel, chronicling the origins of the character Snake Eyes. In December, producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura stated that Ray Park, who had played the character in the previous films, would not reprise his role for this film. Robert Schwentke was set as director that same month.
In August 2019, Henry Golding was cast to star in the title role, with Andrew Koji cast as Storm Shadow. In September, Iko Uwais entered negotiations to join the film as Hard Master, and Úrsula Corberó was cast as Baroness. Uwais was confirmed in October, with Haruka Abe, Samara Weaving and Takehiro Hira added to the cast. Steven Allerick was announced as part of the cast in December. On Golding's Instagram post, it shows that Peter Mensah with the cast as he joined the movie.
Snake Eyes is scheduled for release on October 22, 2021 in RealD 3D, Dolby Cinema, and IMAX. It was originally scheduled for release on March 27, 2020, before being delayed to October 16, and then a week later to October 23, 2020. The film was then removed from the release schedule on July 27 due to nationwide theater closures in the United States in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Paramount later rescheduled the film for October 22, 2021.
In May 2020 it was reported that a follow-up movie is in development, with a script co-written by Joe Shrapnel and Anna Waterhouse, and Henry Golding reprising his role as Snake Eyes. Lorenzo di Bonaventura will return as producer, while the project will be a joint-venture production between Paramount Pictures, Entertainment One, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and Di Bonaventura Pictures.
- "Samara Weaving Joining Henry Golding in G.I. Joe Spinoff 'Snake Eyes'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Francisco, Eric. "Every superhero movie releasing in 2020, ranked by hype". Inverse.
- Dela Paz, Maggie. "Snake Eyes: Henry Golding Says G.I. Joe Spinoff is a Different Kind of Superhero Film". ComingSoon.net.
- "'G.I. Joe' Character Snake Eyes Getting His Own Spinoff Movie (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "The Snake Eyes Spin-Off Won't Star Ray Park – Here's Why [Exclusive]". /Film. December 10, 2018.
- "'Divergent' Filmmaker in Talks to Tackle 'G.I. Joe' Spinoff 'Snake Eyes'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (August 14, 2019). "Henry Golding To Star In Paramount 'G.I. Joe' Spinoff 'Snake Eyes'".
- N'Duka, Amanda (August 23, 2019). "Andrew Koji Joins Henry Golding In Paramount's 'G.I. Joe: Snake Eyes'".
- "'The Raid' Star Iko Uwais in Talks to Join G.I. Joe Spinoff 'Snake Eyes' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "'Snake Eyes': Ursula Corbero to Play Baroness in 'GI Joe' Movie Spinoff". September 26, 2019.
- "'Snake Eyes': Haruka Abe Joins Cast of 'GI Joe' Movie Spinoff (Exclusive)". October 2, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (October 14, 2019). "G.I. Joe Spinoff 'Snake Eyes': Samara Weaving To Play Scarlett".
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (December 2, 2019). "'G.I. Joe' Spinoff 'Snake Eyes' Finds Commando's Father In Steven Allerick".
- Silver Optimus (January 17, 2020). "Peter Mensah Joins The Cast Of Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins?". Hiss Tank.
- "Henry Golding on Instagram: "Himeji 🏯- food recommendations and dive bars welcomed 🐍"". Instagram.
- "G.I. Joe spinoff movie, Snake Eyes, to shoot in Vancouver in autumn 2019". The Georgia Straight. July 15, 2019.
- "GI Joe: Snake Eyes Movie Casts Samara Weaving, Filming Starts This Week". ScreenRant. 14 October 2019.
- Frater, Patrick (January 10, 2020). "Paramount's 'Snake Eyes' With Henry Golding Gets Blessing in Japan".
- "..and THAT, is a principal wrap on Snake Eyes lady's and gents ❤️🐍". Instagram. Retrieved 2020-02-27.
- LeBlanc, Wesley (29 August 2020). "Snake Eyes Delayed to 2021". IGN. Retrieved 29 August 2020.
- Anderton, Ethan (August 29, 2020). "Paramount Sets Release Dates for 'Snake Eyes', New 'Scream' and 'Paranormal Activity' Movies & More". /Film. Retrieved November 22, 2020.
- "Paramount Sets 'G.I. Joe,' 'Dungeons & Dragons' Release Dates". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (2019-06-07). "'G.I. Joe' & 'Micronauts' Both Pushed Later On Release Schedule By Paramount". Deadline. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- "'Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins' Production Begins in Japan with a Special Ceremony". /Film. January 10, 2020.
- "Hasbro Posts Quarterly Loss as Pandemic Hits eOne". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- "Paramount Pushes 'GI Joe' Movie Spinoff 'Snake Eyes' to October 2021". TheWrap. 2020-08-29. Retrieved 2020-08-31.
- "New G.I. Joe Movie in the Works With 'Seberg' Writers (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.