|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Public (Società per azioni)|
|Traded as||BIT: SRG|
|Founded||October 30, 1941|
|Headquarters||San Donato Milanese, Italy|
|Carlo Malacarne (Chairman)
Marco Alverà (CEO)
|Services||Natural gas transmission, storage and distribution|
|Revenue||€3,649 million (2015)|
|€1,950 million (2015)|
|Profit||adjusted net profit: €1,209 million (2015)|
|Owner||CDP Reti (28.98%)|
Number of employees
Snam Rete Gas
Snam S.p.A. (BIT: SRG) is an Italian natural gas infrastructure company. As of 31 December 2015, it had a market capitalization of €16.97 billion. Snam was originally a subsidiary of Italian energy company Eni. It has since become an independent company, whose largest shareholder is CDP Reti, a holding company controlled by the Italian state. The utility operates in Italy  and, through associated companies, in Austria, France and United Kingdom. Snam is one of Europe's main regulated gas companies - leading Italy in gas transport, storage and distribution, while ranking third in regasification. Its main peers, in the regulated gas and electricity sectors in Italy and in Europe, are:
- Terna (Italy): the main grid owner, responsible for high voltage electricity transmission and dispatching nationwide
- Enagas (Spain): Technical Manager of the Spanish gas System and the main carrier of natural gas
- REE - Red Eléctrica de España (Spain): manages the transmission grid and acts as sole transmission agent; it is also the System Operator
- National Grid (UK): operates in the regulated businesses of transmission and distribution of electricity and gas mainly in the UK and northeastern US
Snam has following subsidiaries:
- Snam Rete Gas S.p.A.: the transmission system operator for natural gas;
- Italgas S.p.A. and its subsidiary Napoletana Gas):the distribution group for natural gas ;
- Stogit S.p.A.: storage of natural gas;
- GNL Italia S.p.A.: for the regasification of liquefied natural gas.
- As of April 2016 
|CDP Gas (wholly owned subsidiary of Cassa Depositi e Prestiti)||1.12%|
Board of Directors
Appointed by the Shareholders’Meeting on April 2016 
|Role||Name and surname|
|Chief Executive Officer||Marco Alverà|
|Director||Monica De Virgiliis|
Snam's approach to sustainability is based on Shared Value, a concept elaborated by Michael E. Porter in collaboration with Mark R. Kramer that explores the link between a company and its environment and their mutual interdependence. In order to create Shared Value, Snam promotes sustainable development along its entire transport, dispatchment, regasification, storage and distribution process.
In 2009  the company joined the United Nations Global Compact  and since 2006 has published a sustainability report in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative's guidelines. Moreover, Snam operates within the reference framework of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Fundamental Conventions of the ILO and the OECD Guidelines on Multinational Enterprises.
Its commitment towards the environment focuses on the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and safeguarding biodiversity. Among its social initiatives, Snam partners with Legambiente  and Federparchi  and, in 2012, joined the Sodalitas Foundation, which seeks to build bridges between the entrepreneurial world in Italy and the non-profit sector.
- "Borsa Italiana - Snam". Retrieved 11 May 2016.
- "Annual Report 2015" (PDF). Snam.
- "Reuters - Italy's Snam plans to unblock France-Spain gas bottleneck". Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- "Company structure".
- "Snam - Sustainable Development".
- "Snam - Shared Value".
- "Article: Creating Shared Value - Harvard Business Review".
- "Snam - Snam and Global Compact".
- "United Nations Global Compact".
- "Snam - Sustainability Report".
- "Global Reporting Initiative".
- "Snam - Social Area".
- "Snam - Climate Change and Biodiversity".
- "Snam - Snam and Legambiente".
- "Snam and Federparchi".
- "Snam with Sodalitas".